Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after having problems with my shift tower and 3rd gear syncrho ive decided to replace my tranny with one from a junk yard.

Doin a parts search it lists the following trannys

M.T., DOHC (Zetec), ID XS4R-WC
M.T., DOHC (Zetec), ID YS4R-WA
M.T., DOHC (Zetec), ID YS4R-NA

Whats the difference?

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
The only difference i know of is the early 2 piece (2000 and early 2001)that is easyier to install a 406 gear in and the later 1 piece (early 2001 and up) that is a little harder to change to a 406 gear

Other than that i think they are all the same in gearing and interchangable

Tom

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, do you know where i could look to find out my tranny ID? cuz i got a 2000 and eventually want to go 4.06 and lsd

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
The 4.06 swap recently became a whole lot easier. No more retrofitting early into late, nw that the 4.06 one piece shafts are available. The XS4R boxes are the early two piece shaft boxes, all YS4R boxes are the newer one piece shaft. There are also -NB and -NC suffixes.

Getting the latest -NC or newer box also gets you improved blocker ring designs. I have most of the internal service parts for the MTX-75 on hand.

Walter

·
Registered
264 Posts
since the trannies are interchangeable like tom said, i was wondering what else I really need from the same car for the swap. wire harness, ECU, etc. Its very hard to find parts up here.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for a mtx to mtx like i need, nothing but the tranny.

atx to mtx...buy a new car

·
Registered
264 Posts
is it really that much of a pain. Ive been hearing half and half, but my buds and I are willing to do the work, i just wanna make sure I dont forget to get ne thing. I found a car like 4hrs away and the guy said to stop out there and see if its got all i need for the swap. I have all winter to do it since the car isn't drove in the winter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts