Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've read and read every thread about ppl who have trouble with their FC Throttlebody keeping the revs up, but they all have to do with new installs. This one's been on one car or another for a couple years with no problems. I had a rash of bad luck this week and ended up having to wash the engine a couple times. Now it's hanging at about 3k. What should I check first? I've vacuumed out the little holes inside the tb, but it didn't seem to be pulling from anywhere. Should I check any of the sensors back there? I'm sure the tps is ok, it's been in the same position since day one. I'm thinking there's gotta be something I'm missing. Any help greatly appreciated. I have some other problems too, but I'm gonna keep it simple for now. Thanks doods

g

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
Do you have a CEL?
Check your TPS.
I just installed my FC TB the other day and
I forgot to reconnect the TPS.
The car ran fine, except the idle would hang at
3000rpm for a few seconds before the computer
would kick it back down to normal.
Reconnected the TPS and everything is fine now.
Check your TPS.

TPS=Throttle position sensor

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
check the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) that bolts on to the side of the TB. Several ppl. have had this part ruined on the aftermarket TB's after washing the engine bay. I replaced mine and it solved the problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I unplugged mine and cleaned/dried out the connection, it seems to be ok, but I just drove around the block. I've got a check engine light, but it could be any one of about ten things I've done recently. Autozone scanned it and said it's a manufacturer specific code they can't read. Guess I'll keep looking for a dealership that doesn't have cranial rectumitus. Thanks doods, later

g

·
Registered
143 Posts
Which autozone did you go to, im a manager at one in de. they have a full list of ford codes, yes even the manufacture specific ones, ford is autozones buddy. now the code was probably p1506, this is an idle overspeed error, meaning you car is idleing a bit higher than the pcm likes, i can tell you form expirence that finding a happy medium for idle, and a no stick tb is a pain in the buttox, i found it for awhile around 750 rpm but picked up the nasty little stick, so mine idles @ 850 or so and yes the little light gomes on, but you can take a piece of red lense tape and make the light red, its less distractig and looks good with my red needles. i live with the light, or you can chip it and take out the idle diag. hope it helps

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The autozone is in shawnee, OK. Can you contact them thru work to see where their heads are stuck? My dealership wants to keep the car for a day just to check the codes, not a chance. I can't just live with the light, not until I can get a complete set of gauges anyways to tell me exactly what's going on in there. The o2 sensor light doesn't bother me, I can reset that once a week or so, but this new light comes on within two minutes. How much is a new tps? Thanks for all the help, I'm slowly working out all the gremlins. Later doods

g

g

1 - 6 of 6 Posts