Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you get an alignment with say stock 15" wheels, then put on aftermarket 17"'s with slightly wider tires, will that throw off your alignement?

I'm having problems with my alignment, but I'm wondering if i get an alignment now, will it be off when I put my stock wheels back on for the winter?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 2 of the question.. (it's related)

A friend of mine has just had the eibach pro kit installed (not on a focus), and he's got 18" aftermarket wheels (up from stock 16's) and he's having problems finding a place that can do the alignement for him.

They told him something about the way the device clips onto your wheels, his wheels are too wide, and they don't have a lip around the edge that they can latch onto.

Can he just put on his stock wheels and get the alignment? (or as my original question asks..) Will that be affect by the wheels being different sizes and widths? Is there any alignment tool that doesn't need to latch onto your wheels? Or is that pretty standard?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm.. that's what i thought.. the shop he went to told him that if he would put his stock wheels back on, they could align it for him, and then put the good rims back on. Sounds fishy.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you get an alignment with say stock 15" wheels, then put on aftermarket 17"'s with slightly wider tires, will that throw off your alignement?

I'm having problems with my alignment, but I'm wondering if i get an alignment now, will it be off when I put my stock wheels back on for the winter?
The way I've under stood it is that (it's a little different for different cases) in yours since you're going from low pro slightly wider tire to a smaller it wouldn't be worse so your winter tires should still be aligned but if you go the other way- align on the smaller then go bigger it will affect things because the wider rim now exagerates(sp I know) the angle. Do you have camber kits? Cause if your just eliminating toe & making them all face straight nothing should change with either. Hope that helps

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Personally, I'd say that ANY Difference would be VERY Negligible. There MAY well BE a Difference, but I don't see how the Toe would change, which is the only adjustment on the Focus and Many others w/o Camber-Kits.
I think it'd be Fine for Street use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts