Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out today checking my air pressure and tread depth (with my new Tire Rack tread depth gauge!
), when I noticed something weird. My tread pattern doesn't appear to match left to right, because the left tires are backward compared to the right. It doesn't seem like it should be this way, but I don't see how it could be otherwise without selling "left" and "right" tires. Should my tires look like this, or are they mounted wrong?

(old pic, but the same tires)

While we're at it, a related question. It's getting time to rotate my tires. They're down to 3/16ths in the front and 4/16ths in the back (they're Azenis, so that's not too bad for 6,000 miles). With them being directional, is it okay to switch them left/right as well as front/back? What's the right way to rotate the tires on a Focus?

·
Registered
422 Posts
it looks as if the tires are mounted in the right direction, but i see what you are saying. they do not look perfectly symmetrical. and since they are directional, i dont think i will be okay to rotate left/right, only front/rear

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Azenis ARE NOT Directional.
As long as the tire is mounted correctly on the rim, you can do whatever you wish with them.
As a practice, I still rotate mine from front to rear w/o switching sides.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, they're just designed to look goofy?
Oh, well. I guess that's good to know.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
So, they're just designed to look goofy?
Oh, well. I guess that's good to know.
They have MASSIVE treadblocks near the OUTER shoulder to resist rollover, squirm, and shoulder "chunking".
Where most tires have several circumferential grooves, first-gen Azenis only have one, and they chose to place it as far inboard as was reasonable. That helps a tiny bit with water evacuation, while still making it a Little Closer to an "R-Compound" in it's behavior.
Circumferential grooves serve many purposes, but they result in added "squirm", and the Azenis 215 was designed for primarily dry MAX Performance, with anti-squirm taking priority over hydroplane resistance.

·
[FJ] Fail Brigade
4,986 Posts
st115 azenis ARE directional. a tire that is directional will say so on the side of the tire along with an arrow pointing which way it should turn

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But I'm not hallucinating, right? The tread pattern does look different on the left and right wheels?

I'm very pleased with their performance, so I guess the tread is designed very well. It's a bit sad that they're already approaching the "minimum safe depth" marking on the depth gauge, but I knew what I was signing up for when I ordered them. I need to find some cheap, light wheels so I can retire them eventually to autocross duty.

·
Registered
411 Posts
But I'm not hallucinating, right? The tread pattern does look different on the left and right wheels?
The tread only looks different because of the way you're looking at it. All the tires are the same.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Correct, they are not directional but do have inside and outside as to how they mount on wheel.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts

Though the tires are not directional, the tread pattern's siping goes in the same direction; when you throw these on opposite sides of the car, they APPEAR to be directional, because the tread design was MOLDED that way...

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Those tires are jacked up, you should dismount them and ship them to me (at your expense) for me to dispose of them.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when you throw these on opposite sides of the car, they APPEAR to be directional, because the tread design was MOLDED that way...
I think maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but at least someone else sees what I mean.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
While we're at it, a related question. It's getting time to rotate my tires. They're down to 3/16ths in the front and 4/16ths in the back (they're Azenis, so that's not too bad for 6,000 miles). With them being directional, is it okay to switch them left/right as well as front/back? What's the right way to rotate the tires on a Focus?
Wish I could get 6000 miles out of mine. Heh. The road course that I take my car to mostly with the RT-215s is VERY harsh on the right front tire in 2 turns. As a result, I am in a constant process of assessing my tires to see which is the best one and that gets moved to the right front corner on track day. All my other tires are directional, so I have to flip them to get them into that corner or visit Portland more often. Even then, Portland is so much easier on the tires I have to make several events at Portland to match one visit to Pacific Raceways. I really like the fact that the Azenis tires are not directional for this reason. It'll keep me buying them.

[You can make an argument about keeping the tires going in one direction, but given the relatively short life of these tires, I'm not too concerned about switching direcitons. So far so good.]

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, the Falken Azenis are an Asymmetrical tire design, i.e., a hybrid tire design where the left half of the tire has a completely different design than the right basically giving the performance of two tires in one. Normally, one side is optimized for straight line traction, and the other is optimized for cornering. Once mounted correctly, can be rotated to, and use in any position on the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Asymmetrical tire design
Key Word. Ok so key word s. Unless you are moving water, it really doesn't matter anymore. Kumho (R's) sez stick them on any way you want. Wear them down and then switch them around on rim and use up other side. They used to come with a directional arrow that confused people because they were ALL the same.

Your picture looks fine to me.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Wish I could get 6000 miles out of mine. Heh. The road course that I take my car to mostly with the RT-215s is VERY harsh on the right front tire in 2 turns. As a result, I am in a constant process of assessing my tires to see which is the best one and that gets moved to the right front corner on track day. All my other tires are directional, so I have to flip them to get them into that corner or visit Portland more often. Even then, Portland is so much easier on the tires I have to make several events at Portland to match one visit to Pacific Raceways. I really like the fact that the Azenis tires are not directional for this reason. It'll keep me buying them.

[You can make an argument about keeping the tires going in one direction, but given the relatively short life of these tires, I'm not too concerned about switching direcitons. So far so good.]
Here are some picts of what mysvttoy is talking about with PR eating tires and why you want large tread blocks on the out side edge.

The track is so abrasive that it also chunks the inside of tires too.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Everyone wondering what chucking looked like.
This is it.

Too much tread, too much heat, ie squirm which makes heat.
Shaved, they would about perfect. No feathering you see at an autoX. You can still see the wear (heat) was mainly on the outside. Guessing long corners, rather than tight.
Not much camber or easy braking since there is not much inside wear. Lotsa camber with hard straight line braking would wear inside.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
EXACTLY.
THAT'S why the Azenis are made the way they are. (215's and 615's)
They resist that sort of damage better than any other ST tire (Non R compound) out there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts