Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, Microsoft unveiled DirectX 12. My self not being well versed on what DirectX is, I lightly read the news article at IGN and wondered why this was a big deal. I still have to learn what DirectX is, but version 12 seems to have some major potential, especially on Mobile devices. Apparently DirectX 12 will make better uses of multi-core architectures, allowing higher performance while lowering the power and strain on resources to achieve better performance...

On the console side, it sounds like the "great leveler" that some armchair speculators have eluded to, because; it sounds like it will bump up the performance on the XB1 considerably. One must nothe that the PS4 should be able to use DirectX 12 just like the XB1, so the XB1 will not gain an unfair advantage... But could the way the systems handles RAM may play more of a part in DirectX 12 usage?

On the PC side, most of the recent graphics cards should be compatable with DirectX 12, the real interesting bit is Nvidia's involvment with the new protocol. They worked with Microsoft for 4 years, developing DirectX 12. At the GDC, Microsoft showed a demonstration of DirectX 12 in action. They (Microsoft) used a PC with an Nvidia graphics card running a Forza 5 demo. While there were no notable differences between the console version and the demonstration, the fact that a game developed specifically for an AMD build was running on an Intel/Nvidia card demands attention.
As a programing standard, DirectX 12 should be adopted much faster than DirectX 11, and from what the article I read said, it should provide more uniformity across all platforms.

For mobile applications, this was described as "The missing link, between PC and moble". DirectX 12 should allow more of a PC/Console like expierence in it's games...

There is a lot I didn't retain, but it sounds exciting. I just hope the PC I am building will have a DX 12 compatible graphics card, because Nvidia did not specifically say which cards will work with the new standard. Oh well, by the time I am ready to purchase the parts, Nvivia's compatibility list should be out. I can make changes then.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/20/gdc-microsoft-reveals-directx-12-xbox-one-improvements

It's interesting to say the least.

·
███████
2,662 Posts
I didn't read the article you did but I'm thinking people with AMD chipsets / Processors are going to like this news, I have an 8350 (4.2ghz) and it's an "8-Core" processor. Until this VERY few games take advantage of the multiple cores a processor has, this is why you will see Intel processors outperform AMD processors due to the single core performance instruction set.

AMD just isn't there performance wise on Single core, however on Multiple core instruction sets AMD is the best bang for your buck. I also find that AMD processors handle encoding better as well due to multiple core usage for that operation, either way it's great news for gamers!

Troy.

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No doubt. I am new to the "AMD vs Intel" debates, so I don't have much of an opinion on either. Still AMD did announce more than a few of their mid to upper graphics cards are already compatible. As for the processors, both camps have product that will make use of it already.

·
███████
2,662 Posts
AMD vs. Intel is like the old Ford vs. Chevrolet debate, I'm not HUGE into computer architecture and I build computers for fun mostly so I'm by no means an expert on the subject. I've built 3 Intel machines and this is my first AMD rig, I've gotta say I'm impressed in the "Bang for your buck" you get out of them.

Troy.

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
AMD vs. Intel is indeed much like Ford vs. Chevy.

But Troy is spot on with his "Bang for the buck" statement. Until only recently, you could come in several hundred less on a build using AMD chipsets and still have a pretty potent machine. Would it perform as fast as a comparable Intel. No. But you would need benchmarking software to actually show you that the AMD wasn't as fast. And to you and me sitting in front of the screen, a few points here and there on benchmark tests don't really matter.

Recently, AMD has finally figured out that they can charge more. Even then, it's still cheaper to build an AMD machine.

·
Where is my @#$ antenna?!
4,107 Posts
On the console side, it sounds like the "great leveler" that some armchair speculators have eluded to, because; it sounds like it will bump up the performance on the XB1 considerably. One must nothe that the PS4 should be able to use DirectX 12 just like the XB1, so the XB1 will not gain an unfair advantage... But could the way the systems handles RAM may play more of a part in DirectX 12 usage?

The PS4 is not compatible with and will not be using DX12 as it belongs to Microsoft. Direct X was the origin of the name Xbox, the project originally called the DirectX Box. The PS4 uses OpenGL, which has many of the features of DirectX as it evolves, but it will always evolve behind DX as DX has been the standard for a while now. DX gets a new feature, OpenGL will get that feature down the road. There is a reason Microsoft became what it is today, and it wasn't selling shiny plastic boxes full of old laptop parts. Their software engineers are the best billions of dollars can buy.

Microsoft knew DX12 was coming, and the Xbone was made specifically for DX12. Through the new features of DX12 the Xbone will indeed gain an advantage as the new software will make full use of the ESRAM, Date move engines, and further use of offloading to servers a much easier process using less resources. New DX12 features like tiled resources and bundling will free up even more CPU time. The new SDKs MS sent out enable programming to the metal which will allow a lot of the work to completely use the 8 core processor.

DX12 is great news for PC gamers as well. The Forza 5 port was made by four guys in one month. It's not a taxing game by gaming PC standards, but the fact that it runs flawlessly is amazing. A port of a game this large and complex being done with so few wasted resources means we should be seeing many more games crossing platforms between the PC and Xbone. More games for both is never a bad thing. The ports being so fast literally means a dev on PC can design for the PC and go ape**** with the visuals, adjust for the Xbone's capabilities, then make that the port quickly. Right now PC games have been held back by consoles as many devs don't want to make two versions of a game. This will eliminate that issue.

·
███████
2,662 Posts
AMD vs. Intel is indeed much like Ford vs. Chevy.

But Troy is spot on with his "Bang for the buck" statement. Until only recently, you could come in several hundred less on a build using AMD chipsets and still have a pretty potent machine. Would it perform as fast as a comparable Intel. No. But you would need benchmarking software to actually show you that the AMD wasn't as fast. And to you and me sitting in front of the screen, a few points here and there on benchmark tests don't really matter.

Recently, AMD has finally figured out that they can charge more. Even then, it's still cheaper to build an AMD machine.
I believe there was some sort of lawsuit because the bench-marking software that was designed favored the Intel processors which skewed the results in favor of the Intel chipset. I think this is the article HERE.

More recently a comparison was done by Tek Syndicate HERE.

I'm more inclined to think that AMD is more potent in certain things than the Intel, I'd consider it a wash myself... except the AMD is considerably cheaper.

Troy.

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The PS4 is not compatible with and will not be using DX12 as it belongs to Microsoft. Direct X was the origin of the name Xbox, the project originally called the DirectX Box. The PS4 uses OpenGL, which has many of the features of DirectX as it evolves, but it will always evolve behind DX as DX has been the standard for a while now. DX gets a new feature, OpenGL will get that feature down the road. There is a reason Microsoft became what it is today, and it wasn't selling shiny plastic boxes full of old laptop parts. Their software engineers are the best billions of dollars can buy.

Microsoft knew DX12 was coming, and the Xbone was made specifically for DX12. Through the new features of DX12 the Xbone will indeed gain an advantage as the new software will make full use of the ESRAM, Date move engines, and further use of offloading to servers a much easier process using less resources. New DX12 features like tiled resources and bundling will free up even more CPU time. The new SDKs MS sent out enable programming to the metal which will allow a lot of the work to completely use the 8 core processor.

DX12 is great news for PC gamers as well. The Forza 5 port was made by four guys in one month. It's not a taxing game by gaming PC standards, but the fact that it runs flawlessly is amazing. A port of a game this large and complex being done with so few wasted resources means we should be seeing many more games crossing platforms between the PC and Xbone. More games for both is never a bad thing. The ports being so fast literally means a dev on PC can design for the PC and go ape**** with the visuals, adjust for the Xbone's capabilities, then make that the port quickly. Right now PC games have been held back by consoles as many devs don't want to make two versions of a game. This will eliminate that issue.

But, the PS4 can run DirectX 11.2, which is a Microsoft API industry standard.

AMD made the chips for both the PS4 and the XB1, the only differences (besides the numbers) is the ESRAM on the Xbox one. I am not so sure the PS4 wont be able to run the new API. I think the only problem is going to be the RAM speeds.

·
Where is my @#$ antenna?!
4,107 Posts
Anything can run DX, if compatible, it is just software afterall. Right now the PS4 runs a Unix-derived operating system, using OpenGL 4 as its graphics API, while the X1 uses a 64-bit Windows NT 6 kernel-based system, using DirectX for its graphics API. Almost all studios use DX because it is the standard though nothing is stopping any studio from using both. In the past Sony and their first and 2nd party studios like Naughty Dog did not use DX and instead opted for a custom OpenGL based API. This was part of the reason there was such a big disparity between multiplats and first party titles on the PS3. Sony and their studios had the custom API figured out and working well with the complicated hardware, where 3rd parties using DX were struggling to make things that worked flawlessly on PC and Xbox run decently on the OpenGL based SDKs Sony provided. This was why PS3 multiplats generally looked worse than the Xbox versions, but first party games usually looked better than all but the top of the X360 line. Even then, the superior GPU in the X360 was to credit.

With the PS4, Sony has developed a new custom API which incorporated features found in both Open GL 4 and DX11.2 to help making games easier for the new console, but do not have DX support. They will likely eventually use DX12 features in an updated custom API, but they will be learning those features when they become available and incorporating them into new SDKs down the road. The big difference this time around is that X1's top developers got a hand in the creation of DX12. The SDKs released for the X1 have all the tools needed to use all of the DX12 capabilities, where Sony and it's 1st and 2nd parties will not be seeing anything until it ships. This is a huge advantage for studios who have gotten the new SDKs. The other advantage for the X1 is that it was being designed alongside the new DX (on the same campus) and the new APUs that found their way into the new consoles.

The APUs in the X1 and PS4 actually have a fair number of differences. They are both AMD Jaguar based, but that's as far as the similarities go. It's much like comparing the WiiU to the X360, where despite the fact both are powerPC based with 3 CPU cores, the differences outweigh the similarities thanks to the out-of-order process the WiiU uses with it's much more custom CPU and GPU. The PS4 APU is very similar to an APU you can buy. It is custom, but not much was added or moved from the original architecture. Two quad core tiles, GPU area. The X1 APU is larger, nearly rivaling AMD's flagship APU in size, filled with the ESRAM pools, data move engines, a smaller GPU area and some bits that really don't have an explanation. The PS4 APU was designed for raw bandwidth, where the X1 was designed with low latency in mind. This works well with the features like tiled resources and bundling. The smaller package can be moved with next to no latency quickly and will require less GPU time to work through. It will be interesting to see what comes with DX12, hoping to see what benefits it will bring to gaming.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts