Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been driving me nuts for a little while. For example, when I rolled up to the local observatory, they really frown on dome lights unless you throw red lenses over them (they kill bystanders' night vision). On my 2000 ZX3, there's a physical switch, off/auto/on. Some cars have a switch on the dashboard dimmer that will disable the dome light or let you force it on. No dice there, either.

After playing around for a bit, I found out an undocumented feature that lets you kill the dome light permanently until you re-enable it. Enjoy:
http://focushacks.com/mod/MkIII_Dome_Light_disable

·
Registered
389 Posts
My 2012 has three buttons. Dome, map, and auto (door) on/off:

I am aware, however, that cars without the moonroof have different dome lamps and controls.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish mine was like that. I have the same layout, but the two buttons are instead for his-n-hers map lights.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I wish mine was like that. I have the same layout, but the two buttons are instead for his-n-hers map lights.
The moonroof-equipped Focus has three lamp units like the one I pictured above--one above the driver's head, one above the front passenger's head, and one centered over the back seat. The front passenger has a single maplight switch. The rear unit has no switch and can only be illuminated with the driver's dome light control.

It is awkward to say the least for me to reach above my head with my left hand and feel for those switches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts