Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my 03 SVT used. The paint looks great, but the black part on the mirrors looks like crap. They have a discolored, water spot look to them...almost like an oil slick look.

What is the best way to detail this back to their original luster? Is this just regular gloss black paint or some odd space age polymer
?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
325 Posts
So it's the painted portion not the black plastic?

AFAIK it's just a plain old black clearcoated paint. DO you have access to a digicam/good cameraphone? Worse comes to worst you could sand and repaint. Majikal and zekester both recently painted their stock mirrors body-colored. The area is small so it shouldn't be too hard.

·
[dd] - Dentless Dave
8,742 Posts
So it's the painted portion not the black plastic?

AFAIK it's just a plain old black clearcoated paint. DO you have access to a digicam/good cameraphone? Worse comes to worst you could sand and repaint. Majikal and zekester both recently painted their stock mirrors body-colored. The area is small so it shouldn't be too hard.
I also just painted my mirrors a few months ago. Unfortunately on an SVT, you can't just pop off the cover like you can on a ZX3's mirrors. The SVT mirrors are made totally different and each time I tried to pop the cover off of an SVT mirror, it just broke and I never could get it pieced back together correctly.

You are gonna have to mask off the mirror, sand, clean, then shoot some black paint over the cover. The paint code for Black (Ford's) is: UA.

dentless dave!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
revamp's popped the covers off her SVT's mirrors... I'm 95% sure. I think she said the clips were in a slightly different place? But they did come off whole.

Of course you could also carefully cover the rest of the surface, or paint the entire mirror Gloss Black, if you didn't want to try removing the cover piece.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey there, I guess my ears were ringing for a reason...

Yes, you can pop the covers off of SVT mirrors. I did it to mine.

It sounds like this guy is refering to the black plastic "adaptor" piece that attaches the mirror to the car. I've noticed mine is prone to water spots and such.

I would suggest trying that "Back to black" stuff by mothers. I used it on a friend's stratus mirrors (which is the same shiny plastic material) with good results so far (just did it yesterday).

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey there, I guess my ears were ringing for a reason...

Yes, you can pop the covers off of SVT mirrors. I did it to mine.

It sounds like this guy is refering to the black plastic "adaptor" piece that attaches the mirror to the car. I've noticed mine is prone to water spots and such.

I would suggest trying that "Back to black" stuff by mothers. I used it on a friend's stratus mirrors (which is the same shiny plastic material) with good results so far (just did it yesterday).
You got it. It is the parts of the mirror that are not painted body colored. I'll give the Back to Black stuff a shot. When it rains, will this run off onto the paint and cause discoloration?

I'm almost thinking it would be worth yanking the mirrors and having the black parts painted black w/clearcoat. At least this way they could be waxed. I'm curious as to why Ford didn't do this in the first place.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used a buffer with some Zymol Wax, and it came RIGHT 0ff. IT does that o my SVT on the mirrors and that lil triangular glossy part by the back Tailights.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well just wanted to post an update:

Went ahead and used Mother's Cleaner wax followed by Meguiars Gold Class on the glossy black bits on the SVT. Worked like a charm. No more oil-slick discoloration. Looks the way they should!

Thanks for your help guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts