Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this over on nasioc and clubwrx and thought that maybe it might be a cool thing for Focus owners or whatever. If youve replaced you stock shift knob with an aftermarket one you might want to do this.

to buy them they are about $20-25 for just a sticker.

to make one is $4.

copied from a suby board

2002WRX_5speed said:
DIY Shift Pattern--I found a way to do this project for DIY. If you need info let me know. Very easy and fun to do coz you can personalize it as much as you like.

Things that you will be needing:

a) Making Memories Page Pebbles - Square Extra Large Blank--comes in 8 pcs. (You can buy this at your local scrap booking place--Thanks to my wife.) Cost $4.00

b) Photo Paper (glossy)
c) 3M Heavy Duty Attachment Adhesive (I had extra one from last project so it was a freebie) or you can use any double sided tape that can withstand the heat (3M Plastic Emblem & Trim Adhesive)
d) Good Printer
e) Any software you like to use for editing - paint, powerpoint, photoshop, etc.

Good Luck....

here are some pics of the completed DIY ones. theyre mostly (all) subaru ones but you guys could do SVT ones, or whatever you wanted.

some states require patterns to be visible for drivers in the car. some suby owners have ran into this problem. And these are available from dealers, so theyre more purpose than rice or whatever.

·
Registered
434 Posts
that's a really sweet idea, but I don't know how much help it would be when taking my car in for service, or for valet parking...see, I have a 3" x 5" laminated INDEX CARD that I have on a lanyard that I loop over the shifter whenever someone else will be driving my car. At least 1/2 the time they still can't find reverse....

then, after 30 sec of rolling forward and gears grinding and them half-twisting my knob off, they go "Oh, I see it...thanks for the card!"

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
why would you let some one else drive your car?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Perhaps I'm missing something... isn't this exactly the same shift pattern used by almost every other 5-speed vehicle on the face of the planet? How would someone not know it? The Focus was the first stick shift I'd ever driven, and I never once had to check the pattern printed on the shift knob.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I drive an SVT, which is a 6 speed and has the reverse up and to the left of 1st gear. With my aftermarket shiftknob, it would take an unlucky guesser damn near 5 minutes to figure out where reverse is.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps I'm missing something... isn't this exactly the same shift pattern used by almost every other 5-speed vehicle on the face of the planet? How would someone not know it? The Focus was the first stick shift I'd ever driven, and I never once had to check the pattern printed on the shift knob.
then dont [censored] do it
it was something that i thought i would introduce to you guys.

·
Registered
160 Posts
anyone know what that material (Page Pebbles) is actually called. or know where i can get larger sheets say 8x10 or so.. if im not mistaken i think that is the same stuff that i see some interior trim kits coated with, like the carbon fiber ones.

·
Where is my @#$ antenna?!
4,107 Posts
Yeah it is, but these look really cool, which is really the only reason to do it. I'd try to put a round one on the top of my shift knob if I could get ahold of a glue I actually trust

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anyone know what that material (Page Pebbles) is actually called. or know where i can get larger sheets say 8x10 or so.. if im not mistaken i think that is the same stuff that i see some interior trim kits coated with, like the carbon fiber ones.
try this....

-------->Scrapbook website <----------

looks like theyve gone down in price

·
Resident Wheel-Whore
10,594 Posts
Very cool idea. I'd like to make my own, but my shifter already has the pattern. Thanks for posting this!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
This is so cool. I sent to the scrap book store and got the stickeys, and made up a sheet for all the SVT owners in my local FOcus Club. KICK ASS!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
then dont [censored] do it
it was something that i thought i would introduce to you guys.
see john, this is what happens when you try and help people on this board. They look at you like you're retarded.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Okay guys, lets keep this on topic please.

My mom works for Stampin Up... the worlds largest scrapbooking company... I wonder if she could get me some of that stuff for cheap?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
see john, this is what happens when you try and help people on this board. They look at you like you're retarded.
I wasn't saying it was a stupid idea. I was saying that it's stupid for anyone you trust to drive you manual transmission to not know the standard 5-speed pattern.

Edit: I actually like most of the Subaru examples.

·
Registered
39 Posts
naw i think its neat....

and now that you brought this up, i can make mad custom sticker things for computers heheheh.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts