Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
an earlier post by cameroon showed his DIY short ram and i'm interested in doing this myself. which k&n filter do you use and what holds it on? i can make my own heat shield at work so even though i would prefer a full CAI i'm kind of broke and can't buy one yet so in the meantime...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i could do that for real cheap but i want to eliminate the stock airbox ang with the k&n filter for more air flow. does the k&n just stick on to whatever tube you are using or is there a way to attach it that i'm missing?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Originally posted by caulfield316:
yeah i could do that for real cheap but i want to eliminate the stock airbox ang with the k&n filter for more air flow. does the k&n just stick on to whatever tube you are using or is there a way to attach it that i'm missing?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Before I got my AEM, I had a similar short ram. I just removed the stock air box, and stuck a cone filter on the end of the intake tube.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's it, you just stick it on? there's no attatchments?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
It would be a lot better if you used a piece of stainless steel tube that would fit inside the intake tube. That way you could clamp the tube and the filter to it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
i clamped 3 inch drier ducting tube to the MAF, then ran it down to behind the bumper (in front of the driver's side wheel) and attached a K&N filter with a PVC insert to clamp to.

soon im making a new intake from TB all the way out to the filter using PVC piping of atleast 2.5 inches..... probably 3 inch. heh.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i went and looked at some filters and i don't know which one to get. i guess i need to measure the diameter of the intake tube. how do you clamp anything directly to the filter since there is no flange? it is possible that i'm not looking at the right filters b/c everything i've seen looks like it would just push on over the intake tube.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I had a tube Like Ultegra's feeding up to my cone. I,m sorry but I don't remember whicch size filter it was and I don't have it anymore to check.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i can figure out the size. how did you mount it?

·
Registered
293 Posts
i dont know bout the regular zx3 but the svt maf uses a 3 1/4 k&n. part # rf-1025. im having to special order mine cause no one around here carries it. its going to cost me $68 and some change.
kinda expensive so i hope it does some good. i have an aem cai also but i want to have a back up type free flow intake during the bad weather and such. hope that helps some.
daniel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts