Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I was having problems with the generic shorty intake off of ebay.

To find out, they are utter and total crap. The filter is decent, but the remainder of the kit is horrid.

The rubber elbow join that connects to the throttle body does NOT fit. The metal tube that connects to the MAF sensor and then the filter is too long, and you cannot plug the MAF sensor's cables back into it.

What I ended up doing is cutting the pipe about an inch from that little nozzle that you connect a hose to on both sides. At that point, I connected the stock air hose that runs to the normal air box to it using one of the rubber things supplied, and clamped it with one of the screw on clamps. Then, I did the same to connect the MAF sensor to the other side, then connected the cone filter to it.

I did get the mounting piece to finally work, when I bolted to where the spark plug wires go in (don't remember the name), and then ran another clamp around the L shaped hooked other end to hold the thing it place.

Then, I put my off-brand strut in, now that my airbox wasn't there. Everything was in place, and I go and drive a bit. When at really low RPMs, I heard a rattling under my hood, and I got mad. Luckily, it was just my cone filter's metal piece rattling up against the strut bar, and I was able to clamp a small piece of rubber in between the two, and the rattling is gone.

For the $29.99 plus $13 shipping, was it worth it? No. I wish I would have spent the extra cash and gotten a real one, but hey, it works, and my car has a better response, and sounds much "throatier", and cornering with the strut in place feels a lot better.

Pics tomorrow...

-=J=-

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
so you payed 43 bucks for that
i just stuck an air filter on the end of my tube and put a little filter on the hose coming out of the valve cover.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
that's similar to what some of us did with the Ractive heat-shield filters waaaaaaay back in the day. anyone remember that? lol. it made some people actually lose power

·
Registered
134 Posts
does anyone have the part number or size of k&n to stick on the end of the stock intake tube?

·
Registered
395 Posts
does anyone have the part number or size of k&n to stick on the end of the stock intake tube?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">#2710 is what most use.
I have heard of a 4680 working also but you'd better double check that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
thanks! i finally get an answer! i think i've asked this question on about a dozen threads and did a search.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts