Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know this, so someone please enlighten me about after market wires ,my stock ones seem fine but people tell me i should get aftermarket ones, will it really help me, will i gain any horsepower? need input peepz. my mods are on my sig below.

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: all2envyZx3 ]

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: all2envyZx3 ]</p>

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
i guess its a peace of mind thing....when yer gonna get em...you prolly wont notice a difference but in the end everything helps

·
Registered
72 Posts
real math = 0 HP

rice math = 15 HP

which you live by is your decision

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Save your cash

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes plug wires really work!!! If you took them off your car wouldn't even start?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my stock ones are fine i guess, i could save my money for something that actually gives me hp, but i'll just get them for cosmetic reasons as well as peace of mind! thanx guys

·
Registered
424 Posts
Usually most people do change over for cosmetic reasons. But there is most definately a difference in wires vs most (not all) OEM wires. Remember car manufactures need to cut costs somewhere to get their cars out at a set market value & if you look there are plenty of things they do to cut costs. These things consist of inexpensive parts made overseas or simply not using something as high of quality as needed to get the job done. Unfornatually as consumers you face the end result in the way of failures, breakdowns, recalls, etc. Many aftermarket companies strive to make high quality parts for vehicles that actually perform and improve on a poor design oem part, whatever part that may be..thus the room for improvement & performance gains. Thus the aftermarket is born.. for people that want more out of their cars.

Point is in this case, some oem spec wires are inferior to most aftermarket wire sets out there. Some use generic connectors & boots, while some use proper Ford boots. Some use improper wire core for the application. Some claim bigger is better etc... well in this instance this is not the case either.. the core of all wire sets stay consistant while silicone outer wraps do nothing more that make them harder to bend, fit improperly into the boots, raise cost, etc.. the wire that transmits the spark are the same (as long as made of the same material, thats a whole other discussion). Fancy colored wraps, thicker silicone, none of this changes the core of the wires. Wire sets can gain performance gains..if they are replacing inferior poor quality oem sets as most aftermarket wire sets do... So simply do you homework a little & replace when you need to at your normal maintanance schedule. For just a cosmetic reason, a performance issue, or a little of both, most wire sets are inexpensive, quality made, good additions.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^^ thanks steve!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
What about the Screamin Demon coil and 10mm LiveWire set??

I am sure that would give you at least a little difference...

its obviously on my list of "things to do" to the engine.

·
Registered
647 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by icemanZX3:
What about the Screamin Demon coil and 10mm LiveWire set??

I am sure that would give you at least a little difference...

its obviously on my list of "things to do" to the engine.
<hr></blockquote>
i had the fs set of wires (selling now) and i now have the demon and live wires on mine a bit more responce on revs plus from them they say on a stock foci auto that it takes .29 of a sec off your 0-60 times, but add that with other thangs and it might be alittle more

·
Registered
921 Posts
After reading what FS Webmastersaid I have one question.

I agree that in some cars aftermarket wires are better than OEM, but what about the Ford Focus application? How much better are aftermarket wires than OEM when dealing with the Ford Focus? I have to say, not much better, although I don't have experience with anything but stock.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Originally posted by 4ALTA:
Yes plug wires really work!!! If you took them off your car wouldn't even start?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I think plug wires are kinda like putting lipstick on a fat women. It may or may not help a little, but in any case, until much more effort is put elsewhere, it just really doesn't matter.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by Welding Rod:
I think plug wires are kinda like putting lipstick on a fat women. It may or may not help a little, but in any case, until much more effort is put elsewhere, it just really doesn't matter.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">WHAP!!!!

The truth hits HARD!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts