Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do zetec\'s and spi\'s run balance shafts?

Just a quick question

Also this sounds like a crock of bs but if your crank pulley goes bad like the older ones with rubber in the middle to stop vibration if the rubber lets go over time and the pulley starts to go and when the rubber inside lets go can it twist the crank and ruin the engine, to me it sounds like crazy talk but what do u guys think?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Re: Do zetec\'s and spi\'s run balance shafts?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I think you're talking about a harmonic damper. "Balance shafts" are counterweighted things in the oil pan that help make the engine rev smoother. The only Focus engine with balance shafts is the 2.3 Duratec.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yah a harmonic damper, crank pulley etc....
I found it kinda silly how the damper could twist a crank

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts

A failing harmonic balancer (of the type described earlier in this thread) can come apart, and send an 6-8 lb. whirling iron doughnut flying in any direction.

After that, one would notice a sometimes (depending if the crank were internally or externally balanced) dramatic increase in vibration from the engine and though driveable, it would only be a matter of time before undesireable harmonics create the type of crank stresses that would lead to eventual crankshaft failure.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Just a quick question

Also this sounds like a crock of bs but if your crank pulley goes bad like the older ones with rubber in the middle to stop vibration if the rubber lets go over time and the pulley starts to go and when the rubber inside lets go can it twist the crank and ruin the engine, to me it sounds like crazy talk but what do u guys think?
Holy runonsentance BATMAN!!!

·
Registered
6,296 Posts

<gets out can opener. opens can labelled "100% Grade A Worms">

...I thought the Zetec didn't use an external harmonic damper/balancer?

·
Banned
10,374 Posts

Back from the archives... nope its internally balanced, but the heavy pulley is also balanced itself (hence small holes the way you'd add tape weights to your wheels).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts