Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating on getting one of these as a project car of sorts. They can be had for under 4k in decent shape.

I can't find much in the way of specs on these things. Anyone know of any issues with these cars or where to find info on them?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dammit...I post a question, then get the bright idea to include the word "forum" in my search and crap pops up...

Ah well, any input still welcome!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I would like a Conquest Tsi, very yummy.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup. Minor differences from what I understand.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Originally posted by the6148:
Isn't it the same car as Mitsubishi Starion (sp?)?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Check Ebay. There are usually a few at any given time up for auction. Heck, a guy a few weeks back had TWO for one price.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Only a few issues I can think of.
I think the big one is the timing chain. Something happens when it wears. It starts to get loose and hit something and wears through it and some sort of catastrophic failure happens.
The engine is also a 'truck motor' in every sense I hear. Long stroke, good torque, no chance to rev. Aftermarket parts are so scarce as to be non existant in the states.
Oh, and they rust like crazy.
I really like them though.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Originally posted by Discord:
I'm debating on getting one of these as a project car of sorts. They can be had for under 4k in decent shape.

I can't find much in the way of specs on these things. Anyone know of any issues with these cars or where to find info on them?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">these cars are total pieces of crap id stay away if i was you

·
Registered
383 Posts
Originally posted by familyman:
Only a few issues I can think of.
I think the big one is the timing chain. Something happens when it wears. It starts to get loose and hit something and wears through it and some sort of catastrophic failure happens.
The engine is also a 'truck motor' in every sense I hear. Long stroke, good torque, no chance to rev. Aftermarket parts are so scarce as to be non existant in the states.
Oh, and they rust like crazy.
I really like them though.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the car is also plauged with chronic unsolvable electrical problems prone to cylinder head cracking. electronics that fall apart and dont work and generally crappy build quality , big piece of crap. ive owned one that my uncle bought since new put only 34k miles on it when i got it didnt last over 38k miles before it started smoking
a definite
the car was always maintained by mitsubishi too btw him being a service manager their. its just a piece of crap that was ready for the junkyard the minute it left the assembly line

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
The Starquest are on paper a really cool car, but in execution they are kind of disappointing. They would make a cool project car for track work, as the basics are sound and since you would gut out most of the problematic stuff anyway. Do a search for "Top End Performance" with your favorite search engine and talk to those guys. They do a lot of work with them and can proably guide you in the right direction.

·
Registered
412 Posts
also chris, you might want to give EIP tuning a call, they have one running in the 10's i think.its in maryland. me and a friend went there last year. super cool guys. prodominetly VW guys but they do conquest/starions to.
www.eiptuning.com

mike

·
Registered
481 Posts
maybe an AWD turbo 1gen talon/eclipse/laser would be a better bet since parts are much more available and the knowledge base is greater. you can also get good examples for under 4000

1 - 13 of 13 Posts