Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting the check engine light on for an evap leak involving my gas tank/fuel cap...well I changed the gas cap and it still comes back on....also when I fill my car to the tip top I always smell a gasoline smell in my car for about 20 miles, then it goes away back to normal, so I know a line is leaking some fumes somewhere, but I don't know how to check for that........is there a procedure that I could do myself? or do I have to take it to a guy that is certified?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
You will have to take it to someone with the equiptment. Unless a line is off or there is a broken line somwehare, your naked eye will never see it. What they will do is fill your evap system with nitrogen (smoke) and then use a bright halogen light to locate the leak whare the smoke is coming out.

Scott

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
you also have to be able to cycle the system.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
You need special equipment to find the leak, but once you know where it is, you might be able to fix it yourself. Phillip went through this with his Focus - search his posts from maybe 6 months ago for more information. He had a pro use a smoke machine to find the leak, and I think he fixed the leak himself. IIRC there was a small hole in one of the lines where "someone" drilled a hole to gain access to the fuel pump.

Edit: Damn, I'm too slow. Stupid work getting in the way...

Edit #2: Here's a quote from Phillip on 5/5/05 (hey, that was Cinco de Mayo!):

My fuel cap light came on because some idiot popped a small (REAL SMALL) hole in one of the EVAP lines that run across the top of the tank.

The idiot did this while cutting out an access panel so he could get to his failing fuel pump easier.

I have NO IDEA who this fool with the drill bit was.

I repaired the vapor line and the fuel cap light turned off. Go figure.

BTW, it cost me 100 bucks for Ford to run the diagnostics. They pointed out the problem so I could fix it.

Edit #3:

Hey, wait a minute! d.bluefocus21, you posted in that very same thread. Why am I wasting my time searching for this crap?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol alright, so no matter what way i go i'm going to have to get it diagnosed and ran through a smoke check machine or w/e....hmmmm very annoying lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts