Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am definately gettin the AEM CAI? i read posts and some say it wont fit and others say itll fit just fine? i have and automatic.
Thanx,
P.S. does ne1 live in NJ i am 17 and want 2 become a mechanic and need sum1 to teach me the ropes.
Thanx again,
Poppy

·
Registered
23 Posts
As long as you get the new two section version of the AEM it will work on your automatic.

And on being a mechanic, you might want to try your local high school or maybe a community collage in your area. They will usually have automotive classes that can help you get your ASA certificate.

I personaly got my start as a tech at jiffy lube (oil change place) when I was 16. It was a good place to learn basic techniques and to get used to a shop enviroment. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
So if I bought a used one that is designed for a 5-speed, can I custom fabricate it to fit on my autotragic???

S*** I'm getting a hell of a deal on one , but don't want to buy it and end up it being useless?

Any one know???
Thanks

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
there isn't an "auto" or "5-speed" specific AEM intake

they used to make it 1 piece, now make it 2 piece
if you get the 2 piece it will go right in

if you get the one piece, I do believe it will fit but its a rough fit, not sure about the specifics

·
Registered
662 Posts
Most every retailer is going be selling the 2nd generation kits by now, which are 2 piece kits that work on either the automatic or 5 speed.

Here's a good How-To article, complete with streaming video of the installation. http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/aem-cai.htm

As I recall, the problem with the older 1 piece kits was spacing around the automatic tranmission fluid lines, or dipstick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Im assuming your gonna be outta high school soon or already are. But when I went to school for auto technology I entered the Ford ASSET program (Automotive student service educational training)This is a 2 year college program that upon completion you have an associative in applied sciences and you are a fully certified Master Technician. And in NJ the money is great about $25 an hour flat rate starting. Check the local colleges or the program I went into was at Penn college of Technology. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts