Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a add on t.v saying their product the tornado makes your gas and air flow better. It is a metal circle that makes the air shift in a circle motion when going through the intake does this really work has anyone heard of it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
my friend bought one for his celica gts and threw it on the dyno and it made 2 less hp because it was restricing flow. he sent it back with a letter telling them there product sucks but in nicer terms and they sent him his money back. it was good for a laugh. they say it varies from car to car but then again it could be worse for us. later

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
for a non carburated motor this would be absolutely useless.

hell, for most carburated motors this would be useless

·
Registered
871 Posts
crap.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
do a search...a bunch of people have asked and the answers are the same!

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanx for the responds what a scandal sounds like the oxygen carpet cleaner ehehehehe

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
More like the "FlowBee" Haircutting tool, OR a Supercharger that runs off of your Cigarette-Lighter....

The "Example" w/ the 2-liter bottle of liquid is SOOOOO Bogus....
When Pouring a bottle of Liquid into another, Air must come out of the bottom bottle, and into the top bottle, just as liquid is leaving the top bottle, and entering the bottom bottle....
Our Intakes ARE NOT a 2-Way Street!!!!!!

Big-Time MisLeading!!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
our intakes only let air in?!? damn, i have to send my tornado back! j/k

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
you know what bugged me most about the tornado??? the fact that HOT ROD magazine actually endorsed it. Is this true, and if it is, how could one of the most venerable and oldest mags in our industry forsake us (i'm a v8 boy at heart so this sacrilege really does mean a lot to me)?

·
Registered
636 Posts
i made a trip from bham AL to norfolk Va and had to fill up about 6 times. well later that month i had to make the same trip back to AL and then turn around a few days later and head back to VA. well i bought the tornado on all its hipe(sp?) after having to fill up 6 times. well the trip back was sweet. only had to fill up twice and stil had over a half a tank left when i got there. then when coming packed my car was back to the limit. i only had to fill up 3 times maybe.

SO I DONT KNOW what people are talking about when they say its crap. but i got hella awesome gas milage. i had it in my obx intake and when i got my headers put on i got even better gas milage. drove it hard in to the ground and got the same gas miliage. well since i put the aem intake on the tornado didnt fit forcing me to sell it. now i have the "orginal" gas pattern again and not really happy. but oh well, least the engine bay looks really nice!~~ just my .02$

[ 03-09-2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: fokuzsport ]

·
Registered
228 Posts
Originally posted by fokuzsport:
i made a trip from bham AL to norfolk Va and had to fill up about 6 times. well later that month i had to make the same trip back to AL and then turn around a few days later and head back to VA. well i bought the tornado on all its hipe(sp?) after having to fill up 6 times. well the trip back was sweet. only had to fill up twice and stil had over a half a tank left when i got there. then when coming packed my car was back to the limit. i only had to fill up 3 times maybe.

SO I DONT KNOW what people are talking about when they say its crap. but i got hella awesome gas milage. i had it in my obx intake and when i got my headers put on i got even better gas milage. drove it hard in to the ground and got the same gas miliage. well since i put the aem intake on the tornado didnt fit forcing me to sell it. now i have the "orginal" gas pattern again and not really happy. but oh well, least the engine bay looks really nice!~~ just my .02$
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Since the trip is just over 700 miles, you are saying you barely got one hundred miles per tank of gas without the tornado, and all of a sudden got respectable gas milage with the tornado. Sorry but I don't believe you filled up 6 times going one way.

·
Registered
871 Posts
if it were that good, ford would put it on their cars to pass epa more easily.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Originally posted by llama_in_a_focus:
if it were that good, ford would put it on their cars to pass epa more easily.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The man has spoken the truth.. PRAISE THE LORD! really though.. for cheap, better gas mileage, more power... OEMs would've been doing this awhile ago..

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The tornado rocks!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Any racer, and by racer I mean a person that builds, tunes, and drives a race vehicle, be it a car, truck, plane, boat, motorcycle or any other internal combustion engine, knows that the less you disturb the air flow before the fuel is introduced, the better the engine will run. The "helix" and any and all other mixing devices installed before the fuel is introduced, will not increase power. You want as smooth an air flow to the engine as possible, after the fuel is introduced to that air flow, you then want turbulence to mix the fuel and air. The only good part of their product is the money back guarantee. They do, however, dupe millions of folks.
DT

·
Registered
636 Posts
Originally posted by ZX3InColorado:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by fokuzsport:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Since the trip is just over 700 miles, you are saying you barely got one hundred miles per tank of gas without the tornado, and all of a sudden got respectable gas milage with the tornado. Sorry but I don't believe you filled up 6 times going one way.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">what you think im full of ****? i did have to fill up 6 times because the car was practically brand new
i didnt buy the tornado because of the supposedly horsepower given, i bought it because i had to fill up 6 times. when i put it in i diffentelly noticed alot better gas milage. you can kiss my ass on what you believe. i didnt spend 80 dollars for nothing. ever since i took it out because of the aem intake i have had ****ter gas milage. but i did put it in my wifes car for about a month before i sold it, and she diff. noted gas milage. whether you believe me or not thats the truth.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There are devices that improve mixing of air and fuel. Usually they are installed downstream in a carburetted engine.

The Focus Zetec and most modern engines have tuned port injection where the fuel is injected just beofe the cylinder head port. Most of the air flow is dry and there isn't anything for a turbulence generator to operate on.

The split port or dual runner systems used on the SPI 2.0, the Mazda DOHC 1.8, the Duratec 2.5 and 3.0 V6, SHO V6 use short and long runners to tune intake resonances and optimize volumetric efficienct at different rpm. This is operates on a different principle than the Tornado.

There are two possible explanation why you got better fuel economy with the Tornado:
1/ The engine was broken in (expect less than typical fuel economy in the first 5000 miles) and the weather was warmer when you finally installed the Tornado. Once the weather is warmer, try 5 tanks of fuel with and without the Tornado using the same intake. I would be surprised if you got better fuel economy.
2/ the Tornado acted like a restricter plate. You got better fuel economy, but lost peak power due to an intake restriction. This is not a tradeoff I would want to make.

·
Registered
166 Posts
No way man, if your after some sick horsepower numbers, hook up a blowdryer to your intake! Good for 50 + to wheels, Forced Induction at its best
j/p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts