Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the dog engagement gears from Quaife, would this make for a crappy daily driver?

Would it be difficult to drive in stop and go traffic? What about at low speeds?

Any information would be helpful.

·
I can do no WRONG
1,356 Posts
I am highly disappointed that this topic is not about canines planning to get married.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Originally posted by CheaperSleeper:
I am highly disappointed that this topic is not about canines planning to get married.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
13 Posts
non synchro, LOUD and yes double clutching is a must for smooth(er) driving, these are meant for hard engagements and are a much heavier shift. if your running hard ( road racing) then you don't need the clutch but it's chunky and you have to be good with RPM control.

Quaife should also have a straight cut synchro setup, I know they do for the TYPE BC tranny..

·
Registered
694 Posts
If you can learn to drive them it shoudln't be too bad. I'd try to get a set with syncros though. The big thing is the noise. They would be LOUD. Why would you want this box anyway?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by familyman:
If you can learn to drive them it shoudln't be too bad. I'd try to get a set with syncros though. The big thing is the noise. They would be LOUD. Why would you want this box anyway?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The capability to hold up to high TQ and HP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If that's the case then your money would be better spend getting the quaife ATB.. the gears will be fine if you have the right clutch, final drive & LSD..

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need something that will have some longevity. The ATB is already going aboard but I may need to go a step beyond.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Originally posted by iamgod:
ok dumb question time... what the hell is double clutching...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">step 1: clutch in
step 2: take the car out of gear
step 3: clutch out
step 4: clutch in
step 5: put the car in next gear
step 6: clutch out

this method helps the synchros mesh with the output shaft for a smoother shift...

or something like that

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
so going from lets say 4th to 3rd with just 1 press of the clutch actually wears the syncros more?

Funny, that probably why my syncros are gone

but that is kinda weird, i never heard of that being required on new cars....i mean, talk about slow shifting...damn

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
you can shift just as quickly, just gotta be quick, do some mountain biking or some BMXing and your legs will pick up some speed real quick, I used to race BMX, I can double shift as fast as most people can shift regularly....too bad I don't have a 5 speed Focus so I could see if it would do me any good

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Originally posted by iamgod:
cool thanks...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">anytime

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by PPC-Racing:
exactly how much torque are you putting through your tranny to require straight cuts ? I mean it better be upwards of 320ft/lbs...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't know exactly what will come of it, but I would estimate in the area of 400ft/lbs+

1 - 19 of 19 Posts