Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've been amazed at how many Japanese car tuning companies are coming state side and joining the Domestic Tuner scene....HKS, Tien, and Apex'i just to name a few...I think the Focus leds the pack but cars such as the Neon and the Caviliar aren't too far behind.

To tell you the truth, I was sort of disturbed when I saw this trend of Japanese companies making parts for domestics. Being a former Honda tuner myself I felt as though Japanese tuning companies should tune Japanese cars. I felt, in a way, betrayed that the Japanese tuners would even think of "souping" up a domestic. To tell you the truth is disgusted me. Then I came out of my emotional roar and saw that there were probably more American (APC, AEM, Injen, etc.) based (and Euro based) companies making parts for Japanese cars then Japan was. After thinking of this my mind just decided that tuning sport compact cars wasn't a country thing or a domestic vs. foreign thing but it was a global thing (duh!).

I still get the chills everytime I think of HKS souping up that orange Foci though (A HKS TURBO SYSTEM INSIDE A FOCUS THAT'S CRAZIE!!!
) but hay what can I say?? As long as tuners are tuners I guess it doesn't matter what country we're from as long as we understand each others ideas (even though the ideas might be written and spoken in dozens of other languages). And who am I to complain...I got Tien springs on my Focus (THAT'S CRAZIE!!!) and they work pretty well for just springs.

Sorry for the long message and I don't even know if it makes total sense but what do you think about Japanese companies tuning domestic cars??

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I could give a rip. If I buy a Dynomax muffler for my Civic, what's that mean? Nothing. It goes both ways.

I don't car where the part is made as long as it's quality.

I also think that it's dumb that certain parts, such as wheels, "shouldn't" be put on certain cars. I've heard people whining (not here) about putting Rota Slipstreams on cars other than Hondas. Slipstreams are knock-offs of a style of Spoon wheels. Spoon is a Honda tuner. You know what I say? BIG DEAL – get over it.

Anyway, so many parts of cars are from so many parts of the world that it'd be impossible to keep a car 100% American, Japanese, Korean, French, German, Sweedish, Canadian, Yugoslavian, and so on and so fourth.

As you said – it's a global economy.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
i dont care either way who comes over here and brings their parts. I think its great they accept these cars as capable (unless they are just rebadging cheap stuff like i heard nismo was gonna do) i wouldnt tune an american car cause thats my deal. I dunno why, low resale value already or whatever.

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts
LOL this is funny, considering the whole JDM rage going on right now, esp out here in socal. its similar to putting euro bumpers, etc on our Foci.

JDM oil cap on a Honda Civic DX!! wheee!!!

(although I want to put the skinny JDM door trim on my DX daily driver)

the more companies involved in this industry, the better for our sport in the long run

·
Registered
320 Posts
don't forget the japanese company Tanabe, who makes an exhaust as well as a lowering kit for the focus!!! (shameless plug)...

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting...
Thanks for your opinions...I guess I'm the only one who thought it was odd at first that Japanese tuner companies would even look at domestics cars to fix up...Does that make me werid, unique, or just in my own world??? Oh well, I agree at long as we're all car tuners it's all good...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts