Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don\'t kill me.... another motorcycle thread (opinions welcomed)

I promise, I'll hush up about bikes after this. I swear!!! Well, I figure that I really should get back into riding, as I've laid off it for a while now.

Long story short, I've decided I'm going to sell my FJ1200 (1990... although it does have plenty of trick techy upgrades on it) for a similar modern bike with fuel injection and LBS (linked braking system)!

I've narrowed down my choices to the Honda ST1300 (checked em out today), or the Honda Interceptor (VFR800). I've found a used VFR and would probably need to make a decision on it by the end of the weekend, and with the ST1300, I'd want it in red which means I'd have to buy a new (or barely used) 2005 model.

Whatcha guys think???
Its going to be a commuter bike, and both will be equiped with hard-lockable saddle-bags. And yes, getting an average 45mpg mix on today's bike's is a motivating factor heh.

Leans more towards the touring side obviously.

Puts the SPORT back in sport-tourer, but still comfy.

I know we have some biker fans here, so whatcha think?????

·
Double-Wide Pride!!!
881 Posts
Re: Don\'t kill me.... another motorcycle thread (opinions welcomed)

Can you finance a BMW? If so, I'd go with that. Granted you wont have the fastest bike in the world, but you will have some great engineering and more longevity between your legs. Mine was a 91 K 75s w/ abs. She had 9 miles on her when I bought her, But over 39,000 when I sold her. Not at one time did she ever fail to start, break down, or get tempremental. (the heated handgrips rocked) I miss her, and wish that she was still around. I know that there is a bit of a stigma about BMW riders, at least there was when I was riding, but you really met the most interesting people on the tours.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts

Exactly. My buddy had an R1100GS that had been to south america and back. It had almost 60k miles on it when we last spoke several years ago....it ran like a top. I don't think there are many bikes out there that can match BMW in terms of long term durability and ease of maintenance.

I wouldn't even consider the VFR as a commuter bike for one simple reason...chain drive. The constant maintenance they require makes it difficult to rack up the miles. I would only consider a bike with shaft or belt drive (which does narrow your choices.)

I would definetly recommend a BMW. The ST is nice, but the thing is a boat....and I have never warmed up to taht engine design (although you could argue that all of BMW's engines are equally out of place.)

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Don\'t kill me.... another motorcycle thread (opinions welcom

The closest competitor is the BMW K1200GT... which sounds great on paper, but the comparison reviews left it lacking. Looks cool though. I assume that Hondas should be quite reliable bikes too. I've talked to some typical chubby old Goldwing guys that had unbelievable miles on their 2-wheeled couches heh.

·
Registered
386 Posts

You should also consider the yamaha fz1300, i work with a guy that has one and he loves it. I have a friend with a 03 intercepter and its awesome. The sound is so cool and then the vtech kicks in and sounds better. And its pretty quick. chain drive has come a long way, and the intercepter is single side swing arm so im not sure how u tighted that chain, u may want to look into that but it has a center stand and you should be checking your tire pressure anyways a lot so tigtnen the chain would be no big deal. i ride a F2 and I tighten the chain about every 2 weeks, no big deal. Get the VFR! that has my vote, the st1300 is such a big bulky bike, next choice should be the Fj1300

·
Registered
386 Posts

my friend also has the hard side saddle bags, and he can't fit his helmet in there, not sure if this matters to you but it does suck in a way. also i think aftermarket pipes might be hard to do with those hard bags on that bike

·
Registered
3,440 Posts

Nice selections, to make the choice easy.

Lots of 2 up riding = ST1300
Lots of single riding = VFR.

Of the 4 major bike manufactures, IMHO Honda has the best fit and finish, and their gear boxes don't suck.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts

This is what I would do. IF I was serious about buying one of the 2 bikes above I would get with the dealers and say these are the 2 bikes I am looking at. Then I would ask to have each bike for a few days so that you could find out which bike you can use daily and a tourer. The Honda I like alot BUT see how you like it after a 1hr ride. If you plan on going tandom then I highly suggest that you go tandom for an hour on each bike as well. Normally a shop has a "test" bike you can try. If you are going the BMW route then without a doubt ride it for free as long as you can and make a decision. Not sure what they cost in the US now but I am sure it is more than $16,000 and for that kind of money I would want to make damn sure it was what I wanted. Oh and nice choices.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Nice selections, to make the choice easy.

Lots of 2 up riding = ST1300
Lots of single riding = VFR.

Of the 4 major bike manufactures, IMHO Honda has the best fit and finish, and their gear boxes don't suck.
I'll agree with this!

Don't listen to those other bench racers.

I have a 2004 VFR. It's a great bike. I was commuting to school (30 miles each way on the highway)It does great on the highway but is more capable in the twisties than the ST.

The ST will be better for 2 up riding and long higway excursions. The ST has more power, but also higher insurance premiums.

My list of bikes:
2001 SV 650
2001 Aprilia RSV Mille
2002 Triumph Speed Triple
2004 Honda VFR

THe VFR is the most comfortable by far, and has plenty of power.

Check our www.vfrdiscussion.com

If you want more sport get the VFR, if you want more touring get the ST. Both are great bikes.

Also check out www.cycleforums.com

·
Registered
227 Posts

I´ve never heard anyone knock a VFR and they´re good looking bikes...

...(as good looking as a bike covered in plastic can be)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

Something about a single sided swingarm with hard bags laid over it doesn't seem right.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quicky question... I've ridden a VFR, but not for an extended period.

Most of the reviews on the ST1300 say it handles great for its pork, but the big complaint is HEAT. Apparently they cook your legs.

But I'm curious... does the VFR get a little toasty in that department too? I'd be riding in 90oF+ weather 90% of the year.

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts

I talked to a fellow at the local supermarket one afternoon, right after MotoGP (I asked if he had gone). He is a schoolteacher in Paso Robles who commutes on a VFR. He had come over to cruise up Hwy 1 and cool off.

He absolutely loves his bike. He puts hard bags on it for longer trips, he had these cool brackets sent over from a company in Germany. He said he had an RC51, and while a blast on short trips, it killed his wrists on longer ones. He said he's been on trips with 700+ mile days on his VFR and would have ridden longer but his friends didn't want to.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts

Ducman, I've got a '93 ST1100 that I ride on a daily basis, and it's a solid bike. It is true though, the ST1100 and ST1300 can both get a little warm in the crotch, but it's nothing that'd deter me from riding the bike.

The ST1300 would be a great choice for you though, and not too big of a departure from your FJ1200. Watch the top-heaviness though. Both generations of the STs are pretty easy to tip over, and the body parts are not cheap. The little tip over pods on the sides of the bike don't save the mirrors, unfortunately, in the event of a tip-over.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quicky question... I've ridden a VFR, but not for an extended period.

Most of the reviews on the ST1300 say it handles great for its pork, but the big complaint is HEAT. Apparently they cook your legs.

But I'm curious... does the VFR get a little toasty in that department too? I'd be riding in 90oF+ weather 90% of the year.

It's not bad. I get a little heat from the radiators, but no underseat heat. I just feel the heat from the radiators blowing bye the outside of my legs. The Aprilia I had would do some crotch pot cookin'!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts