Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was rebuilding my motor, I decided to lighten the fatory flywheel(hey, saves some money) The maching shop actually took almost 9 lbs off of it so I was happy. Well, I'm pretty sure it weakened it and on Monday, it broke. I wasnt doing anything stressful on the car either. I was sitting at a red light and noticed that when I started to let the clutch out, I could feel the clutch petal shaking. I thought "eh, it'll be fine" Got into 3rd grear and I hear "whizzzzzzzzz... CLUNK" and the car dies. Wasnt quite sure what was going on so I pull off the road and try to restart the car. When I turned the key over, the motor didnt do anything. The starter was moving, but wasnt turning the motor over. GREAAAAAAAAAT So today, I yank the tranny out of my car to find that the flywheel had broken and in doing so, broke the flywheel sensor(hence the reason the car died)

Supposed to be like this...

Now looks like this...

So, just a lesson to self really: DONT BE A TIGHT ASS WHEN MODIFYING YOUR CAR!!!!!!

But as a bonus to myself, I got to see the Centerforce after many hard launches on the bottle and slicks, and I must say that it looks like its BRAND NEW. So I still dont see why so many people spend so much more on other clutches.

·
Registered
744 Posts
and we all learn from the mighty Toby.. I eamn.. Justin... lol

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
justin, on the clutch, i now AGREE FULLY man
The more research i do and more people i talk to, the better htat clutch looks, ESPECIALLY for the money.

I would now easily say its BETTER then my act, that costs 2 times more

DAMNIT...

The dual friction material actually works very well

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, not a good idea! A few lbs off the perimeter is usually OK, but not in the hub area, and not 9 lbs! Lucky yer OK- I've seen the results of these popping in bigblock drag cars- buzzsaw!! even with a shield, tore the crap outta the car.

Good to hear about the centerforce, though- I had almost talked myself into sending the one I got a month ago back without installing it. Guess I'll try it.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Did you instruct them on where to take off all that material or was it their idea?"

You'd think that a machine shop that has been doing it for 30 years and builds race cars (bugs mostly) would know what they were doing. Dont take what I said the wrong way. I'm not BLAMING the machine shop for the breakage. I just know that if I wouldnt have had it lightened so much, it wouldnt have broken.

So now the debate begins. Do I just get a Fidanza (since the FocusSport and SeanHyland are both made by Fidanza anyhow) Or do I go all out and the the Focus Central flywheel, pressure plate and clutch that is a total BAD-ASS?

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
I was.
I just wasn't sure if it was a machine shop you brought it to and said lighten it (not their fault), or a shop that said we could lighten your flywheel like they did and then it broke (their fault IMO)... if that were the case, I'd bring it back to them and say "c'mon now".

·
Tarderatoraka: Red-SE-00'
7,592 Posts
Originally posted by fokuzsport:
hey how do you make your fog lights yellow?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Did you instruct them on where to take off all that material or was it their idea? No wonder it broke.
There is just no material there. Looks paper thin.

Since its a flywheel, weight on the outside edge makes a much bigger difference anyway rather than total weight. I would have thought drilling holes along the outermost edge would have provided the same benefit and not broken itself apart.

·
Registered
636 Posts
i have seen tobybooms car in race mod, and his foglight housing is yellow. it looks tight as hell. i have been asking him for over a year how he did it. i just want to know how he did it. please tell me i really want to know. thanks

john

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
well since this post is about his FLYWHEEL..i dont blame him for not telling you
how about you use a little creativity and figure a way out.
if he isnt telling you he doesnt want you to know.
besides he already posted about it awhile ago. do a search. i know but im not telling.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Well, That wasn't nice....^^^^^^ (Aside from the redirection of the Topic, but even THAT wasn't a big deal to just ASK the Q...)
Try to hold your tongue when you feel like saying "Not Nice" things.
Earlier, I read this topic and thought, "DUHHHH??!! No Kidding...", but I DIDN'T post it, because it wasn't being too nice...
See, it's easy. Just take a deep breath and think, "Should I post this?"...
If it seems too mean, then don't.
In this case, I think hindsight tells TobyBoom that what I "was GOING to post" was kind of Obvious, and therefore not anything he hadn't already figured out on his own, thus not an "Attack" or "Flame" from me, just a "Shake of the head"...

[ 02-02-2003, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Damn that surprises me. A vw shop shoulda known not to take weight off the middle. They always take it from around the ring gear on vw's and bring the weight down to about 12.5 lbs. What's the stock flywheel weight anyway?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Stock flywheel is something like 21 - 22 pounds. I just had the luxury of holding mine in my hands last week when I swapped it out for a Fidanza. I've heard about flywheels breaking apart before and like Ducman said, it really does look like the hub area is ultra-thin. I'd question the shop that did it. Whether you instructed them or they lightened it on their own, they should have known better

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The area where it bolts to the crank isnt any thinner than it was before. Trust me, I know better than to let that happen. Its the areas just right outside of the bolt holes that were too thin. But, oh well.

And as far as the fog light issue goes, I've been through it before. I found a way to do it and so can you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts