Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so this week I'm planning on doing my suspension swap, and I'd like to have one last check of everything I need / have to do the job complete.

I have:

set of Apex springs
set of Koni shocks / struts
p51 shims
Front LCA poly bushings
Rear trailing arm bushings
Front & rear camber kit (I don't plan on using unless an alignment check tells me I need to for camber correction purposes)
strut top bearings I'm going to reuse 'cause my car is <20k mi.

Local Ford maint. tech told me they reuse TTY hardware, so I'm going to do the same.

I've got a good set of standard & metric wrenches & ratchets, & a breaker-bar. A blow torche, liquid wrench, jack-stands. Rustoleum primer paint for LCA bushing swap.

I'll be borrowing spring compressors from a local shop.

I'll be using a variety of the tutorials posted here on how to do the swap. Plus I'm a pretty handy guy & I've done one suspension swap before, so it's not entirely new territory.

Any other suggestions?

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
only thing i'd add is a drop wrench for getting at that damn top nut on the strut. it's so deep in there that a normal wrench runs the risk of stripping it, provided you can even get one on there in the 1st place.

if you don't know what a drop wrench is, you'll have an idea after you get the strut assy out and get a good look at what you need to do. go to sears. that's where i got mine.

Mike

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got one of those craftsman tool-sets, and it's got a pretty comprehensive set of those. Basicly a deep socket, similar to those that are meant for spark plugs right?

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
...not a deep socket, but rather like this:

I just use a cheesy Kragen offset wrench like this, but I used a grinder to modify it to work specifically on Focuses.

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
...not a deep socket, but rather like this:

I just use a cheesy Kragen offset wrench like this, but I used a grinder to modify it to work specifically on Focuses.
yep, that's it. seriously, though, i've done enough suspension installs to know that getting the spring off the strut is the biggest PITA of the job. it's not impossible, just sucky and time-consuming to use a spring compressor. if i were you, i'd find a local shop that you could sweet talk into doing the swap for you. i've got a local midas that will swap everything over for $10/ea. under the table. $20 saves you the cost of buying special tools, plus save syou the time and headache. to me, ti's worth every penny. be advised, though, that a lot of shops don't like this or just won't do it (for liability reasons). just keep calling until you find the guy who wants a little extra lunch $$$.

Mike

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it were just the springs & shocks I'd pay someone else to do it in a heart beat, but since I'm doing the bushings also I want to get in there and make sure the job is done right, no corners are cut & everything is squared away. Plus I just like to do what I'm capable of on my own as a hobby. Which is why I'm doing the bushings even though some might think it isn't worth it for a daily driver.

OK, so I need to get that wrench. Anything else?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts