Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can it be done? I understand our cars our FF and they're difficult to drift, but I've heard they can be converted to RWD. Also, the weight distributions gotta be close to 50/50 if its used as a rally car. Can anyone help me out w/ this?

·
Registered
729 Posts
unless u convert to rear drive uh uh....just do what i do,,,wait for the snow and get good with the e-brake

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
it can be done.
tighten up the rear end, stiffer sway bar, stiff springs, get hard into a corner, tap tap tap brakes, get a little sideways.
there is video of people doing it floating around here, and if not, there is pics.

·
Registered
729 Posts
its not exactly a controled slide like that,,,,all u get out of front drives is false control....or something like that..so that may look like drifting,,,,,but i dont think it tech. is.....IMO

·
Registered
143 Posts
its not exactly a controled slide like that,,,,all u get out of front drives is false control....or something like that..so that may look like drifting,,,,,but i dont think it tech. is.....IMO
you're exactly right, it's a false drift, you have to enter the corners a hell of alot harder to kick the ass out. i think if you search for drift videos there may be a couple on here, FF cars are outrageous in drift contests, it looks like pure magic that they even stay on 2 wheels

The snow is a good place to practice, but if you live in tx, then a nice flat field of dirt is just as fun

or as i prefer a nice freshly rained on parking lot

·
Registered
729 Posts
i "rally" race around the block of my house when we get like 3"+ or snow,,,,,,tap the ebrake,,,,hold 2nd gear ,,,,sideways halfway down the road...lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
You can pretty easily generate Lift-Throttle-Oversteer in a focus on gravel. This works really well on 90 degree junctions at about 25 mph.
Go into the corner medium throttle, then take out the throttle very fast. The back end will begin to come around, feeding throttle back in will stabilize.

Same works on snow. I haven't ever tried the wet parking lot.
It's all a matter of balance transfer.
~Paris

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
"FWD-drifting" is better known as.........

<font color="red">ASS DRAGGING!!!!</font>

InitialDFocusSPI...LOL! Good luck trying to out-handle a AE86 or a 240SX by drifting!!!

OMG SPI!!!

The AE86 is to a DOHC ZETEC Focus....same as a AE85 is to a SPI Focus! But AE85 is still bettah!
j/k

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
this "drifting video" you guys speak of, isnt that the one where the guy had LUNCH TRAYS under his rear tires to help him do it? looks cool as hell and prolly is fun as hell but is in no way drifting.

·
Registered
729 Posts
lunch trays huh??? ill be back in a few minutes,,need to go rob my old high school,,lol,,,jk

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
False drift
Drifting is drifting. Of course it can be done on AutoX course, a little speed, a little throttle off oversteer. It isn't that hard to do. Control, Sure. Doesn't take handbrake. Can be induced with tire pressures. Not recommended on street.

·
Registered
729 Posts
drifting is drifting cuz ur rear tires push u through the turns,,,in a front drive if your rear end slides out your basicly just along for the ride...IMO if i rated rear drive sliding ease a 10,,id have to give front like a 4,,,u just dont have near the control in FF as u do in FR..and this is y noone uses FF cars in the D1 circuits.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
There is a video of me at an autocross drifting around the cones. Too bad I really lost control and the "drift" turned into a 270.

·
Registered
729 Posts
lol,,,,,just held on for the ride huh?

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
basically

1 - 16 of 16 Posts