Ford Focus Forum banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Jefe said:
You also missed me:

Okay, I got you in HPDE2 for right now. It could change to HPDE3, but I need to check something. But since you want an Instructor at some point, then maybe HPDE2 is the best place for you.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ted7rns said:
Okay, I got you in HPDE2 for right now. It could change to HPDE3, but I need to check something. But since you want an Instructor at some point, then maybe HPDE2 is the best place for you.
I wouldn't mind HPDE3, or I can just get signed off for HPDE3 for day two?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi I am noobie and I would like to be in 1. I have yet to sign up with NASA and register for HPDE1. Is there a list of things I need to check on my car before the event?

Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #104

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Jefe said:
I wouldn't mind HPDE3, or I can just get signed off for HPDE3 for day two?
Normally HPDE3 is for someone who's had 5-6 track day events. Normally NASA likes to play it safe the first time out.

You could sign-up for the Willow Springs event in Feb in HPDE2 and I could do a check out ride with you....even if you just sign-up for one day in Feb.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
There's still a chance. If he can go through the the NASA dates ahead time. Plus I think there's a good chance that HPDE3 &4 will be together with TT having it's own group. If that is the case we'll allow times to count in 3 & 4

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
^ That's we todd did.

:p

Edit: so as not to appear a postwhore or take the thread more off topic, I suppose I should recall any track time I've had should I wish to participate in HPDE.

2 weekends per year Streets of Willow/L.A. Shelby Club 1993 -2003 = 18-20 track days on the smaller "Streets" course

1 trackday, Willow Springs big track

3 Drivetech tube-chassis school days consisting of road course layouts with one - 1/3 mile oval.

Countless hours sim time.

No competition license or other certification other than the Drivetech experience.

Realizing how the skill/car level groupings generally are, and considering that the 2.3 automatic is a pig getting off of most slow corners, I think HPDE 2 would suffice with a possible bump to HPDE 3 if lap times warrant.

Feedback, Ted, if you'd be so kind... :)~

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Z63R said:
Edit: so as not to appear a postwhore or take the thread more off topic, I suppose I should recall any track time I've had should I wish to participate in HPDE.

2 weekends per year Streets of Willow/L.A. Shelby Club 1993 -2003 = 18-20 track days on the smaller "Streets" course

1 trackday, Willow Springs big track

3 Drivetech tube-chassis school days consisting of road course layouts with one - 1/3 mile oval.

Countless hours sim time.

No competition license or other certification other than the Drivetech experience.
:)~
I would think HPDE 2 would be fine for you maybe even HPDE 3. But since this is your first NASA event. I would play it save and take HPDE2.

Z63R said:
Realizing how the skill/car level groupings generally are, and considering that the 2.3 automatic is a pig getting off of most slow corners, :)~
One thing that is important about is absolute lap time is not the most important thing. It’s being consistent and make sure you’re following the correct line and is comfortable driving with cars around you. Have a slow car is never the problem as long as you can drive the car close to it’s maximum ability. The closer you drive it that ability and the more comfortable you are in traffic and the more consistent you’re running your line the more you faster you move up in HPDE.

Good drivers can past slower cars with out a problem as long as you’re consistent, the more consistent you are the faster you’ll get. Eventhough you have a 2.3L Automatic, the car still could be faster then other manual cars out there.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Sweet.

I almost edited the lap time thingy out of that post for the reasons you describe. :eek:

Thanks. :)~

101 - 120 of 157 Posts