Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking to see if anyone has mounted aux driving lamps on their Focus. I saw a M-ni this weekend with driving lights (aftermarket, not the $400/set M-ni lights) and it got me thinking.

I just can't figure how to mount them without some major hacking of the bumper/grill/etc.

Not that I'm doing any rallying, but I'd like to have some candlepower to get some attention (or enough to melt plastic) for driving around these SUVs.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
You mean like this...

BEFORE:

I used some metal plates and screwed them to the inside/bottom of the bumper where the grille goes. I attached the lights to that metal plate. There isn't much room there to hold the lights on -- that's why I added the metal plate.

^^ You can't really see it, but there is a metal plate under the foglight bracket.

Then cut the grille around the lights. I used black twist ties to hold the grille pieces on, much better than zip-ties because you can reuse them over and over again. I drilled small holes behind the grille pieces to attach the twist ties, you can not see them at all.

They are a bit more inside the bumper now after I adjusted them. Then I spliced the halos into my parking lights and hot glued the fog harness inside the lamps and sealed it with tons of tape. I used Silverstars foglights.

Kinda ghetto, but they've made it through two winters and have held up nicely.

AFTER:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks- that's giving me some ideas. I have some old Bosch 5"ers I used on my old Audi. Those mounted to the early-80's, no-cover, bumper. I'll have to take the grill off mine to see what's hanging back there.

The bumper bar looks OK- I can't really see it in the pics of your car though.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
First pic is a way of putting a single set outside the bodywork without having to modify anything, the brackets etc all fit through existing openings in the grillwork.

The next set of lamps required more serious mounts so I did have to cut a very small section of the lower grill to allow them through.

None of the bracketing etc for these light mods were purchased or premade, they are all measured, drawn and made to my own requirements. A little time consuming but easily worth the effort.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That is so cool.

If you still have the drawings for the brackets for the large round lights would you mind mailing me a copy.

I have some large Bosch 100w driving lights I still need to get on my car for TSD rallys. Your brackets look like just what I would need.

Thanks

from the right seat
dam3816
<//><

·
Registered
439 Posts
First pic is a way of putting a single set outside the bodywork without having to modify anything, the brackets etc all fit through existing openings in the grillwork.

The next set of lamps required more serious mounts so I did have to cut a very small section of the lower grill to allow them through.

None of the bracketing etc for these light mods were purchased or premade, they are all measured, drawn and made to my own requirements. A little time consuming but easily worth the effort.
Doesn't all that power drain your battery?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
i wired mine so that they cannot be turned on unless the car is on, which largely prevents this possibility. the alternator charges the battery while the car is running, too, so its not really a problem. my particular lighting draws about 30A.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts