Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

What are the potential risks of driving without an oil cap on your engine? I assume, loss of oil, fire (from all the oil spraying out into the engine bay, risk of egine siezing up, chance of foreign matter getting into the engine...

Is this correct? How dangerous would this be?

(I am asking because my Ford Dealer forgot to put the oil cap back on after doing my oil change... second time they have done this.)

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
I've never heard of fire or debris in the engine. The end result is usually a very messy engine bay followed by needing to add a quart or 2 of oil. If you drive long enough before noticing, I suppose you could cause friction damage.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
I wouldnt worry too much about fire. oil dosent usually just flame up. it needs an accelerant like gas. the biggest concern is debris falling in. My brother forgot his cap once and drove quite a while with it off. He just bought a new cap and changed the oil, ran fine. I also would not want to hit deep water with the cap missing.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
<font color="blue">id say its time to find someone else to take ur car too if something like that has happened twice
</font>

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... I am not going back to that dealer.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
The result IS a very messy engine bay and the smell of burning oil. i went about 5 miles like that before i realized it. sucked.
Ditto.
I'd be asking that dealer for a Free Engine-Bay Detailing.

·
Registered
809 Posts
yeah I got my oil changed once and the assholes didn't put the oil cap on tight and it spewed all over the engine. I went back and they gave me a paper signed by the manager that gave me another free oil change. I'll never let anyone change my oil again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts