Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to a friend who's an engineer at Ford I had a chance to drive a Focus Electric for several miles both in town and on the highway this morning. Impressive!! The one thing I don't know if it was fully production representative or if it was a late level prototype, so my experience may not necessarily 100% representative of true production vehicles.

As expected it was incredibly quiet. I heard absolutely no noise whatesoever from the drivetrain under any conditions. I've driven some hybrids in the past where a slight electronic whine was present at times. The only thing that could be heard was the tires against the pavement.

The brakes were a little touchier than I'm used to in my own 2012 Focus but I quickly got used to them. I suspect this may be due to getting as much regenerative braking as possible as soon as possible.

It has an incredibly linear torque curve compared to a gas engine. The strangest part was the complete lack of any upshifts/downshifts, or even a change in RPM as you'd experience in a Hybrid with a CVT. The only time it felt a little weak was cruising at 70 then flooring it. But then again it's designed for optiimum performance in city driving.

Overall, I think anyone who can fit the purchase price into their budget and has realistic expectations regarding the range will be more than satisfied with it. Great job Ford!!

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Now it just needs a more realistic range. I couldn't do one days work commute on the range this car offers currently. I know, I know, I know..."but there are worse ones out there". Indeed there are but I can't much help the fact that the car can't meet my needs, and I WAS interested in it since the Tesla S is nearly double the price. The only other gripe I had about this car was the digging I had to do in order to find that range estimate as well. I literally had to contact Ford (at the time) which was a pretty good hint that the range was nothing to write home about. Shame too, as I liked this car up to that point...

Now then, let's have a look at the C max Energi, shall we? Hummmm.....

This article (whilst just the Hybrid) made me LOL more than once. Pretty cool that he thought it was clearly better than the Pr....I just can't make myself say things that I can't stand, sorry, but most here know it as the "One Less..." car. :) I can't wait for a good Energi article, esp since I'm interested in a more robust 'electric' mode.

http://jalopnik.com/5938415/2013-ford-c+max-hybrid-the-jalopnik-review

·
Registered
26 Posts
I drove a LEAF at Nissan's ride and drive. It makes a combustion engine car seem very last century. I'm sure the Focus has the same feel.

All I need is 120 miles range and a price of $30,000 and I'm ready to buy. Maybe in a few more years...

·
Registered
9 Posts
So many people know someone who works for Ford. Why am I not one of those people who knows someone?

Good to hear that the Electric is quiet, I'll probably test drive one one day.

·
Banned
64 Posts
Thanks to a friend who's an engineer at Ford I had a chance to drive a Focus Electric for several miles both in town and on the highway this morning. Impressive!! The one thing I don't know if it was fully production representative or if it was a late level prototype, so my experience may not necessarily 100% representative of true production vehicles.

As expected it was incredibly quiet. I heard absolutely no noise whatesoever from the drivetrain under any conditions. I've driven some hybrids in the past where a slight electronic whine was present at times. The only thing that could be heard was the tires against the pavement.

The brakes were a little touchier than I'm used to in my own 2012 Focus but I quickly got used to them. I suspect this may be due to getting as much regenerative braking as possible as soon as possible.

It has an incredibly linear torque curve compared to a gas engine. The strangest part was the complete lack of any upshifts/downshifts, or even a change in RPM as you'd experience in a Hybrid with a CVT. The only time it felt a little weak was cruising at 70 then flooring it. But then again it's designed for optiimum performance in city driving.

Overall, I think anyone who can fit the purchase price into their budget and has realistic expectations regarding the range will be more than satisfied with it. Great job Ford!!
Thank you for your sharing your experience. Don't buy it, Lease it. You should be able to drive for less than the cost of gas in a paid off car. Fifty miles a day five days a week at $3.50 a gallon is near thirteen grand over the life of the average loan. (Not taking into account gasoline prices will probably increase way before then). That not including miles driven on the other two days a week. Add back in the electricity to charge, .10 per kilowatt hour average, the battery is a 23 kilowatt hour battery. That is $2.30 to drive about a hundred miles , or around $40.00 to go. 2000 miles. About 1800 over six years at fifty miles a day five days a week. Ins is way cheaper in va. For the focus electric, less than five hundred a year good full coverage with 500 deductibles and all the trimmings. That's half the price 10 year old Saturn. Not very much service at twenty thousand mile intervals. Again, why buy? Would you hang on to your cell phone for five years if you get a free upgrade for signing a new contract. Just think of gas as a contract and the phone is free.

·
Banned
64 Posts

Thank you for your sharing your experience. Don't buy it, a Lease it. You should be able to drive for less than the cost of gas in a paid off car. Fifty miles a day five days a week at $3.50 a gallon is near thirteen grand over the life of the average loan. That not including miles driven on the other two days a week. Add back in the electricity to charge, .10 per kilowatt hour average, the battery is a 23 kilowatt hour battery. That is $2.30 to drive about a hundred miles. About 1800 over six years at fifty miles a day five days a week. Ins is way cheaper in va. For the focus electric, less than five hundred a year good full coverage with 500 deductibles and all the trimmings. That's half the price 10 year old Saturn. Not very much service at twenty thousand mile intervals. Again, why buy? Would you hang on to your cell phone for five years if you get a free upgrade for signing a new contract. Just think of gas as a contract and the phone is free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts