Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do i have that wrong?

Someone told me that my rear or front, cant recall which, is funny cause most new cars are sold with all, again, cant remember which is which.

But aparently i can change the ones that are bad for the other type?

I know i know, thats confusing as hell, but its the only way i can think of wording it.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
typically there are disc brakes up front and drum in the back. I wouldn't say good aor bad. But some people like having 4 wheel disc brakes, other say it is not needed. The fronts are used more than the rears. My stang had drum rears and I never had a problem. I like the look of 4 wheel disc and I think most new cars are coming that way...I could be wrong though.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
My stang had drum rears and I never had a problem.
And my stang had 4 wheel drums.
Still stopped well enough.

He's right. Front discs provide most of your stopping power. You'll be just fine with rear drums. But rear discs do look prettier.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
never done it, but off the top of my head, obviously you need the disc, caliper assembly, probably new brake lines, possible new master cylinder. It shouldn't be to hard of a job, however whenever you do something for the first time it has some glitches.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hehe, i meant how much moola am i talkin. or price wise in case you didnt understand my lingo

I can do everything except body work to my focus, cause my parents own a huge bus company, so i got lifts, tools, mechanics

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I’m sort of taking a guess here but you may be able to go with a Bear Big Brake System for 2K that’s doing Front and Rear.

You may also look in to getting the parts to do a SVT set up, but I would think that you need to do the Front and Rears. Typically you don’t need as much braking surface in the back as in the front. The SVT has 11” in the back, and they could be larger then the standard ZX3 fronts but some one else may what to but in there thoughts on this.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Don't forget that a drum brake setup is typically lighter then the coresponding disc brake setup. If you're not racing or doing open track events, the stock front rotors/rear drums should be plenty sufficient. Plus, if you're running street tires, the tires are going to 'lock up' way before you'd have a chance to utilize any extra stopping power that rear discs would give.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Look in the want ads section of FJ you'll probably find someone with an svt that'd be willing to sell their rears cheep-usually the case or just post in there & ask. They make full rear kits that include everything you need...ummm www.focusperformance.com ummm I think european-parts.net sorry I'm not really checking just trying to remember...look around, maybe even e-bay if you just get the svt rears you'll probably have to buy the SS line kit to make stuff fit ok without probs- dang I hate buying goodies
Good luck - but if you can't afford it...no worries the rear drums aren't bad (btw go look at your car now & see if you can tell the difference now that you know which is what)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can physically see the difference. Just dont/didnt know what the real difference was per say. Im a complete car noob.

This is my first NEW car like i said, and im slowly learning by reading here and breakin stuff

j/k I changed my oil yesterday, and fitted my 9mm Ford Racing Wires and was gonna change the sparks but found they were the best already for the car.

Coming from someone whos never done ANY work to his car before, i think i did quite well yesterday, and i only spilled a drop of oil

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Hay if you get in to something that you would like some help with, there are a bunch of people in the area that have lots of experience working on Focus. And I’m sure myself and others would be willing to give you a hand or advice.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
One note on switching out brakes-if you go with a big brake rear disk setup you might have to change out your wheels depending on how big of a disk you install on the rear. Also, a rear disk conversion might be large enough to make the front disks look really weird if they are smaller than the rear. I put SSBC rear discs on and they were so much bigger than the front stock units. I then changed to 13" Wilwood up front and it looks balanced.

·
Double-Wide Pride!!!
881 Posts
For real, the amount of action that the drum gets, it is perfect for it's application. Albeit not as attractive as a disk, it's function is perfect for most cars. (Not as much weight in the rear, less friction applied for stopping.)Plus because the drums have less stopping power, you have more control of your car when braking. Less rear wheel lockup equates to more straight line (controlled) stopping.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any maryland guys that use aol, im SkrimpRoxJoo. I got 1 or 2 focus guys on my list that help me now and then. The more the merrier, im tryin to learn here =P

Second, i know you can paint the calibers, i plan to paint them blue so they match my car, and show up against my Soon to be White Rims. Can you paint anything on the drum brakes? Yes that may sound stupid.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Yea, I've seen the drums painted and they look pretty nice. Even if they're just painted a high temp black to hide the rust.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thnx guys. I think i will paint them midnight blue, along with the front caliburs, so they match my car, since im getting white rims.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I think drums Do stop better than discs but they Fade faster as heat builds up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts