Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received our autometer dual gauge pod and heated it to fit our 02 SVT. Came out very nice. Now we need to match the color to the A-pillar. It is a light gray. Has anyone used an interior spray that matches this color? If so, what was the color called and what brand was it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
good luck on finding paint to match the closest i could find was duplicolor gray primer i don't have a pic but i starded off with white paint then cloged the nozzle of the primer and sprayed it.doesn't look that good but it kinda matched.so iff someone knows the color i would also like to know.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blackNwhiteZX3 - We went to Lowe's and bought a Wagner heat gun, about $30.00. The bottom portion of the pod (nearest the dash) fits pretty good, we just heated the edge once and pushed it into place so that it would have a little better fit. The top needs the most attention since this is where you can see the gaps. Heat up the edge so that the plastic is fairly soft (but not a distorted near molten mass) and push the pod into place, you may have to lightly push on areas to get the gaps to close, but if the plastic is just the right temperature it will practically fit itself. When it is fitting how you want, cool it down in place with a wet rag. Also, do not heat around the gauge area or it may distort. We also put masking tape on the A-pillar to protect it since the pod was starting to scratch it from the trial fits, and also so that we could draw a reference line for where the pod would sit. Hope this helps, Good Luck!

focusR3 - Thanks for your info. I went out and did a little searching myself and came up with a plastic/vinyl paint by SEM called Colorcoat, #15183 Warm Gray. Not a perfect match, but would be hard to find a better match in a can.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

i took my pillar into Sears and had a can of paint made up, it took a few tries until they got it right, but after about 10 minutes we got a good match. Then I bought a sponge brush and I brushed it on. There are going to be some paint brush streaks, I left them because they werent too noticable.

Im sure you could probably sand it down, but to me it was good enough

1 - 6 of 6 Posts