Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the reason Ford(in their finite wisdom) decided to use the Daul-Mass FW was because they were using a Clutch Disc w/ a solid hub, as opposed to a sprung hub as found on any other normal car. The solid disc would result in driveline noise at low RPM's and some amount of harshness. If anyone reads SCC, and read last month's issue about the lightweight FW going onto their 350Z project car, they said that there was enough driveline noise under 2000rpm to make it sound as if the tranny was going to fall out/explode, then would disappear at above 2000rpm. I wouldn't really mind changing the FW to a lightweight version, but not at the expense of that amount of Driveline noise/vibration, and especially if I could not use the factory clutch which is said to be fairly strong(again the FW is thought to be the cause of premature clutch failure). Anyone have any input on the Clutch Disc, sprung or solid???

·
Registered
262 Posts
The stock disk is solid. The aftermarket disk from clutchmasters is sprung, so you will need to buy a new clutch. The stock one only last 19k on some svtf cars.
19K my ass...try 4,500 miles....no auto-x/drags etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought so....from my DSM experience clutchmaster had had mixed reviews whereas ACT has always been an excellent clutch...any input on that?? What is the stock clamping force and what is the clamping force of the CM & ACT?? I do not intend to do any other mods besides "fixes"(VF mount, K&N, LightWeight FW, clutch), nothing to greatly increase power. I just want something that will last, I never drag race(or launch for that matter) and I doubt the car will ever see an autox or roadrace course, just spirited street driving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts