Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody here have a dual or quad exhaust (one tip on either side or two on either side). I think it looks nicer than the big mufflers.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
It might look nice, but it's not functional in the LEAST, unless you have independent pipes coming from each cylinder.
Remember, DUAL exhaust was a by-product of a V6/8/10/12's having TWO banks of cylinders.
We have one. Ours is not a "V"-4. It's Inline.
Unless you're running some custom header that at least breaks it up into 2+2, it's just plain silly IMO.

[ 09-19-2002, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
It might look nice, but it's not functional in the LEAST, unless you have independent pipes coming from each cylinder.
Remember, DUAL exhaust was a by-product of a V6/8/10/12's having TWO banks of cylinders.
We have one. Ours is not a "V"-4. It's Inline.
Unless you're running some custom header that at least breaks it up into 2+2, it's just plain silly IMO.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">while i agree with you totally, would there be any benefit to doing the 2+2 approach? i have always wondered about this. do you have any ideas on how the sound would change with 2 pipes, 2 mufflers, and 2 cylinders in each? might be interesting to try something like that.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts

[ 09-19-2002, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: sit'n'on_chrome ]

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
You would have to redesign the whole exhaust system. Two independant 2-1 headers (one for each pair of cylinders), each leading to it's own CAT (if you so choose), then each cat having it's own catback exhuast.

I would bet money, that much HP gain (if any) would be lost with the weight gain of all this steel. And plus, have you looked under the focus to even see the possibility of two CAT's?

I mean so much work and money for so little gain. Why?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
years ago before cat's we used to split our manifolds on I6 and I4 engines to run dually's, if done correctly it has a pretty cool sound. Some sounded quite strange too.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I don't know if there are gains to be had or not. I was only pointing out that Dual exhaust on an I-4 is kind of pointless.
The systems that I've seen use a "T" near the rear of the car to send the pipe to each side.
IMO, the additional restriction caused by those angles is rather detrimental to Performance.
IMO Duals are best left to vehicles w/ multiple banks of cylinders.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had a ZX3 with a "dual exhaust" it had 2 1/4 pipe back to the rear suspension and split from there. as far as sound...i never had so many compliments on it. i have pics i could e-mail if somebody wants to post them.

Dave

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
how about this... get a single in/dual out muffler. instead of going thru all that crazy crap to get it to be dual, just do that with a little extra piping and a 2nd tip.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
is there enough room over the rear suspension to fit a dual setup back there?

·
Registered
174 Posts
adding more weight and more turns in the piping that restrict airlfow just isnt my bag IMO

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Quad? Why don't you just go for EIGHT of them!
j/k

·
Registered
803 Posts
Alot of the drag Hondas around here uyse really short side exit (side of the fron bumper) manifolds. They are generally a 2-1 design with two pipes coming out the side. At that point it may make sense, for a daily driver.... prolly not.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts