Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes call me a sell out w.e. w.e. thing is the Lentech auto is $6,000 and still may not be able to handle the power im trying to make (600+) and I just dont have the money to blow through Lentechs constantly sending them back and such. My logic is if no one has done it must not work so well, only one dude has done it and well he's a liar. So I guess ill be pulling gears and going down the track. Also I've heard the tranny swap in that light is cheaper than keeping a Lentech. I started ordering motor parts last night so I'm pretty well committed in the motor build at this point so now I need an accurate list of what I need to make this swap to work. Remember this is an 08 and the swap thread is a little off since it wasnt very well wrote up. Also what kind of clutch are you guys running for 600+hp. Thank guys

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If its just too much cause on the swap write up it was unfinished if I need a manual wiring harness and junk i'll just have to pay my $6000 and hope for the best on an automatic. Cause messing with a wiring harness front to rear gets so far up there in price cause your messing with the electrical heart of the car there is just too much to go wrong and with $6k in a motor build with a turbo tied to it its just to dangerous and the possible damage done does not make up for $3k in savings

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Have you tried the focusfanatics forum? There should be a good write up on there.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's not bad at all did the customer require a new wiring harness and ecu see if he can chime in that's not bad at all if he got it to work with no lights all over the dash and such. That'd be cool man only thing ill need to do then is relearn how to drive a stick which will only take a day

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I'm the guy Randy is talking about. :) As far as you asking about the wiring harness and ECU, I swap both of those out as well. Without them, I had the wrench light, a CEL, my interior lights were stuck on, and the cooling fan never stopped running. I got the correct (and very, very specific) main harness from ford parts, the transmission harness from the dealership, and the ECU from a junkyard. As long as it's a manual ECU it will work, the code doesn't matter. Ford flashed my PATS and the new ECU and you wouldn't even be able to tell my car came as an automatic unless you knew. Ask away with questions!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So when you swapped the harness did you have to redo the fuse box and all that mess or what was the real complications behind that...the ecu and such I can find its the complications with the wiring harness like was this a plug and play or what was required to be done....

This might call for an ohio trip when I get all the parts gathered...

·
Registered
23 Posts
So here is the parts list for the swap:
  • MTX75
  • Driver side CV Shaft
  • Passenger side CV Shaft and Intermediate Shaft
  • Manuals Trans dogbone mount
  • Clutch/Brake fluid resiviour with lines
  • Clutch/Brake pedal assembly
  • Clutch ignition/position sensors
  • Clutch Master Cylinder
  • Master to Slave Line
  • Slave Cylinder
  • Clutch kit and flywheel
  • Shift Cables
  • Shifter Assembly
  • Main Wiring Harness
  • Manual Trans Harness
  • Manual PCM
I think that's it. If I'm missing anything someone please let me know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice where were the tricks in the Wiring harness?
Well the trans harness is pretty straightforward, and the main harness doesn't really have any tricks, it just requires a lot of patience. For the main harness you need to remove the center console, most of the dash panels, the glove box, everything around the steering wheel, and be prepared to be in uncomfortable positions a lot. Like I said, it's plug and play, but it's difficult to snake the harness everywhere it needs to go. I would suggest taking everything in the dash apart and studying it first. You will see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just out of curosity, can the 08-11 guys just get a tune from someone and have all the ATX functions turned off in the tune instead of swapping ECU's and harnesses? I did the MTX swap on a zetec and have a tune by the guy you all seem to hate. He was able to turn off the 11 CEL's I had, adjust the axle ratio for the speedometer, and fix the driviability end of things, plus be able to use the benefits of getting a tune in the first place. I'm just thinking getting a tune to change all that would be more cost effective than getting the factory MTX parts to change things but I can understand if its not possible to turn stuff off in the 08-11 ECU's going through SCT.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts