Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the K&N CAI for the duratec and it looks like it doesnt retain the factory MAF tube. I know for a fact the STEEDA intake has its own MAF tube that is a different diameter then the stock one. I emailed them and they said your computer doesnt need to be reflashed in order to use their intake.

Wouldnt the computer think a different volume of air was passing by the sensor then actually is?

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
It all depends on the inner diameter of the tube. If they have done it right, and used the same inner diameter as the stock tube, there would be no difference in the amount of air that is measured.

Our stock MAF tube has an odd design and is not easily adapted for use with aftermarket intakes, so it does make sense that some would design their own.

The Cosworth intake uses a special design with an extra inner section of the pipe that reduces the diameter down to the proper size. This extra piece can be removed for later tunes to allow more air to pass through the larger outer tube diameter.

>8^)
ER

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Some shots of the Cosworth piece I mentioned:

The silver insert piece is held in by those two black hex-head screws and can be removed to allow more airflow, assuming you have the tuning to match.

>8^)
ER

·
Sir Buffs A LOT
1,756 Posts
Thanks for the pics Peleton, always wondered what that looked like. Pretty slick piece of engineering. I am currently running the K&N AirCharger CAI that is a 1 piece system but has the "hourglass" shape to it for the MAF. So far so good.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yeah same here with my Steeda Intake

It is a custom machined piece, but it still retains the hourglass shape of the factory housing so the meter gets the same sampling of air
The Steeda piece just looks 100 times better though

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's it. I have to get the Steeda. And not just because I'm afraid of puddles.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
i'm going to threadjack, deal bitches.

Aphid, what part of OKC are you in? I'll be around 10th-23rd, just west of I-35...near the OUHSC/VA...somewhere in that area.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MWC here. Are you hooked up with OK-Focus through Galen and Scott? If not id recommend hooking up with then. Galens ZX3 is running nice right now all motor, and Scotts has the pimpin 351 in it.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
id love to get the steeda, but it wont fit on my pzev
It won't? please explain?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
does it? this came from STEEDA when I emailed them.

"The heat shield and filter is designed for the front fender/headlight
assembly of the 05. There would be interference with the headlight and
fender on the 03.

Gus Irizarry
Sales Representative
954-960-0774 xt.113
954-960-1449 FAX"

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Oh crap!
Totally forgot about that. My bad...I didn't know what year you had

It will only fit the 2005 2.3 & 2.0 PZEV & non-PZEV

not the 2003 or 2004 2.3 though

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Thats the kind of intake I am looking to get, because we get a lot of flash floods here, and a low intake is a sure way to hydrolock.
Y'know, that's why you're not supposed to drive through flash flood areas. Getting caught in one could make the engine the least of your worries.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts