Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
In my quest for power in my Escape...I am looking for Pics of the stock airbox in the Focus. The problem I have is that the MAF sensor is built into the lid of the box and there is no way to hook up a cone filter. I have seen pics of the Steeda intake and it looks like it could fit the Escape, I just need to know what the stock airbox is like in the Focus to see if there is a way I can bolt into mine. Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sorry that this is TOTALLY OT... but an MTX AWD? Shur nuf I just priced one on Fordvehicles.com. As far as I know the 5 speed / 4x4 combination was never an option on previous Escapes... you know what this means.. No more overseas sourcing for MTX75 AWD gearboxes, or trying to get one from a Jaguar.

So um... want to wreck that Escape for me?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well as far as I know this isnt a MTX-75. I have heard that it is a Mazda tranny. Ford's Canada site lists the 2005 Escape MTX as the G5MR. When I searched the Web it showed that being a tranny from a Mazda Protege.

Im sure there would be a way to put it in the Focus, but the AWD is a "There When You Need It" type system. It only drives the rear wheels when the fronts slip. So I dont know how well this would work in a performance type setup. I think the best bet would be from the Jag.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
You'll need the Jag's rear suspension, anyway. The Escape suspension setup is not exactly desireable for performance.

This is what my 2.3 PZEV's airbox looked like:

Edit: Obviously, that's not all of it. There's more underneath that top box.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well as far as I know this isnt a MTX-75. I have heard that it is a Mazda tranny. Ford's Canada site lists the 2005 Escape MTX as the G5MR. When I searched the Web it showed that being a tranny from a Mazda Protege.

Im sure there would be a way to put it in the Focus, but the AWD is a "There When You Need It" type system. It only drives the rear wheels when the fronts slip. So I dont know how well this would work in a performance type setup. I think the best bet would be from the Jag.
Ahhh.... disappointment. Thanks for responding to my totally OT post.. lol!

·
Registered
646 Posts
the mtx awd was only available in the 2001my escape. I already looked into that, and trust me... it aint pretty

*Edit, 2001 that is

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the Steeda short ram.

The 2005 Focus MAF is in a housing BELOW the top airbox; you remove the top box to access it.

The SSR doesn't come with a MAF, it comes with a new housing for the existing MAF sensor, which you remove from the stock housing and reinsert into the new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts