Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
are we talking about the 2.0l or the 2.3?

there isnt any exact number as well all know, however there has been upwards of 260whp on the 2.3l and 240whp on the 2.0l, however its all about the torque aswell. to much low end torque (like boost with a small turbo) will snap the rods and kill the motor faster then HP will.

i know randy is running a 2871r on his 2.0l hatch, i think hes around 250whp but tq is low due to a larger size turbo. i havent seen a dyno sheet however.

hope this helps you out steve

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Reliably... if you mean reliably for several years and not just some dyno glory runs, I'd say 260 WHP and 260 WTQ is the MAX. Based on my many years of programming, driving our cars, customer cars, and keeping tabs on them over the years. FSWerks is the only company that I know of in North America that have been producing, testing, pushing and evaluating for several years and this is my professional opinion based on that. Officially, we don't recommend that kind of power in most cases, but that's because as a manufacturer you really have to play it safe. Customers are relying on your product and the risk is much less at lower levels. However, we've had some cars roll thru here that are just monsters even at low boost levels and we just work with it.

That doesn't mean it's the absolute truth and end all, but that's my professional opinion on the matter if you want years of reliability. If you are cool with maybe not having the engine last as long or you are prepared for the worst case scenario, I'd say you can push it further, but the size of turbo and WTQ is crucial and needs to be considered.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reliably... if you mean reliably for several years and not just some dyno glory runs, I'd say 260 WHP and 260 WTQ is the MAX. Based on my many years of programming, driving our cars, customer cars, and keeping tabs on them over the years. FSWerks is the only company that I know of in North America that have been producing, testing, pushing and evaluating for several years and this is my professional opinion based on that. Officially, we don't recommend that kind of power in most cases, but that's because as a manufacturer you really have to play it safe. Customers are relying on your product and the risk is much less at lower levels. However, we've had some cars roll thru here that are just monsters even at low boost levels and we just work with it.

That doesn't mean it's the absolute truth and end all, but that's my professional opinion on the matter if you want years of reliability. If you are cool with maybe not having the engine last as long or you are prepared for the worst case scenario, I'd say you can push it further, but the size of turbo and WTQ is crucial and needs to be considered.
That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much. :thumbup:

·
is REALLY worried about very little things...
5,145 Posts
Randy, weren't you saying you felt safe running 275 through your stock motor by keeping torque a little lower? That would move out quite a bit...

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
TORQUE TORQUE TORQUE! I cant stress this enough.

That is the only number you need to be thinking about. HP is irrelevant since it is a calculated number and the torque is the actual force.

I would say 250ftlbs would be a good place to stay. But if you can carry that 250ftlbs you could easily make over 300whp and it would theoretically be just as safe as 250/250. There are several guys with mazda 3s doing 250tq and over 300hp on stock engines.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Randy, weren't you saying you felt safe running 275 through your stock motor by keeping torque a little lower? That would move out quite a bit...
That was more about me and my car. And that has yet to be tested over the course of a couple years and thousands of miles. What I said in this thread is a more realistic and safer educated guess on my part.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts

That is the only number you need to be thinking about. HP is irrelevant since it is a calculated number and the torque is the actual force.

I would say 250ftlbs would be a good place to stay. But if you can carry that 250ftlbs you could easily make over 300whp and it would theoretically be just as safe as 250/250. There are several guys with mazda 3s doing 250tq and over 300hp on stock engines.
... the size of turbo and WTQ is crucial and needs to be considered.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

We all understand this but most people only understand horsepower and when you're talking moderate gains that don't push any limits then horsepower is just fine to use as the example.

If you walked up to almost anyone on the street and said "my car has 280 lb.ft." they'd look at you crosseyed and say "huh, how much horsepower?"

·
5,145 Posts
Man...don't try to reason with or please people on the street. Do you know how frustrated I get with people at work who either claim to know about cars or who just like to hate? I have haters of my MS3. Yes, a stock body car that is tastefully lowered with nice wheels and is pretty damn fast has haters. They don't care how much power it has. I got laughed at even more when I had the SVT.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I used to get laughed at quite a bit.... "why would you waste your time turbo'ing a Focus? hahaha" ... after I beat a couple Mustangs, a F-body Camaro, and a STi at our local track, they suddenly fell silent. Haters gonna hate though.

260wtq I would say is the max for reliability.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
^^dirty low end tq

what turbo and motor was that with randy? looks like a 2.3l w/ 28r because of all the low end

·
to roi am a pretty little girl with a shifter to r
2,666 Posts
I used to get laughed at quite a bit.... "why would you waste your time turbo'ing a Focus? hahaha" ... after I beat a couple Mustangs, a F-body Camaro, and a STi at our local track, they suddenly fell silent. Haters gonna hate though.

260wtq I would say is the max for reliability.
^ beyond awesome :thumbup: and I know what you're saying, I have a buddy with a b16 integra that I recently whupped at the track. Up till that point my car was just a focus according to him :p and whoa, back off, cause I have an intake AND exhaust :lol: :lol:

-gabe

·
5,145 Posts
Yes but that's not a stock Duratec. That is all Steve wants to know :)

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes but that's not a stock Duratec. That is all Steve wants to know :)
Yup, just basic numbers that are easy for the average person to understand.

The info is actually for the Fiesta forums, there are a lot of people over there that are new to modding and obviously not too many people n the states have any experience modding the Fiesta but giving basic safe numbers of what others have done with other factory Ford products can help out a lot.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts