Ford Focus Forum banner

Duratec stock internals-how much power?

35K views 82 replies 17 participants last post by  Mirage 2.0 duratec 
#1 ·
So, how much are the Duratecs good for with no internal mods.

I'm just curious what power levels they can reliably make.

#2 ·
are we talking about the 2.0l or the 2.3?

there isnt any exact number as well all know, however there has been upwards of 260whp on the 2.3l and 240whp on the 2.0l, however its all about the torque aswell. to much low end torque (like boost with a small turbo) will snap the rods and kill the motor faster then HP will.

i know randy is running a 2871r on his 2.0l hatch, i think hes around 250whp but tq is low due to a larger size turbo. i havent seen a dyno sheet however.

hope this helps you out steve

#4 ·
Reliably... if you mean reliably for several years and not just some dyno glory runs, I'd say 260 WHP and 260 WTQ is the MAX. Based on my many years of programming, driving our cars, customer cars, and keeping tabs on them over the years. FSWerks is the only company that I know of in North America that have been producing, testing, pushing and evaluating for several years and this is my professional opinion based on that. Officially, we don't recommend that kind of power in most cases, but that's because as a manufacturer you really have to play it safe. Customers are relying on your product and the risk is much less at lower levels. However, we've had some cars roll thru here that are just monsters even at low boost levels and we just work with it.

That doesn't mean it's the absolute truth and end all, but that's my professional opinion on the matter if you want years of reliability. If you are cool with maybe not having the engine last as long or you are prepared for the worst case scenario, I'd say you can push it further, but the size of turbo and WTQ is crucial and needs to be considered.

#6 ·
Randy, weren't you saying you felt safe running 275 through your stock motor by keeping torque a little lower? That would move out quite a bit...

#8 ·
TORQUE TORQUE TORQUE! I cant stress this enough.

That is the only number you need to be thinking about. HP is irrelevant since it is a calculated number and the torque is the actual force.

I would say 250ftlbs would be a good place to stay. But if you can carry that 250ftlbs you could easily make over 300whp and it would theoretically be just as safe as 250/250. There are several guys with mazda 3s doing 250tq and over 300hp on stock engines.

#12 ·
Man...don't try to reason with or please people on the street. Do you know how frustrated I get with people at work who either claim to know about cars or who just like to hate? I have haters of my MS3. Yes, a stock body car that is tastefully lowered with nice wheels and is pretty damn fast has haters. They don't care how much power it has. I got laughed at even more when I had the SVT.

#13 ·
I used to get laughed at quite a bit.... "why would you waste your time turbo'ing a Focus? hahaha" ... after I beat a couple Mustangs, a F-body Camaro, and a STi at our local track, they suddenly fell silent. Haters gonna hate though.

260wtq I would say is the max for reliability.

#17 ·
^ beyond awesome :thumbup: and I know what you're saying, I have a buddy with a b16 integra that I recently whupped at the track. Up till that point my car was just a focus according to him :p and whoa, back off, cause I have an intake AND exhaust :lol: :lol:

-gabe

#15 ·
^^dirty low end tq

what turbo and motor was that with randy? looks like a 2.3l w/ 28r because of all the low end

#20 ·
Yup, just basic numbers that are easy for the average person to understand.

The info is actually for the Fiesta forums, there are a lot of people over there that are new to modding and obviously not too many people n the states have any experience modding the Fiesta but giving basic safe numbers of what others have done with other factory Ford products can help out a lot.

#33 ·
Jared,

You clearly missed my point. If you read my post again, I think you'll see what I was saying.

Not everyone cares about drag racing or racing people on the streets or highways. There's a reason why turbos like the GT28R, GT28RS, and GT2871R sell so well.

I'm speaking from first hand experience. And I would bet all the money I have that I've spent more time driving different sized turbos on the Duratec Focus than anyone else here. I've driven a turbo Focus or Fusion almost every day of my life since 2005. My point was accurate and perfectly valid in the context it was used.

#35 ·
Obviously we are on totally different pages because My argument is for power-band and has little to do with turbo selection, with the proper AR power-band can be altered no matter what of those turbo's you use. A longer flatter power band is faster, and faster is better. If no one cared they would not turbo their car in the first place.

case in point is one of your own customers with Cosworth IM and cams, had you run the same amount of boost you would have made very close to the same torque as your above charts but way more High rpm power.

#40 ·
randy is this a good example?:dunno:

im willing to bet that the car making more power is fast even tho it might spool a tid bit later...even from 4th gear...

#43 ·
what its showing is why its a good idea to give up some of your spool in return for carrying the power farther out.

#44 ·
Hmm. No, not the greatest example. If you are talking about low end spool, it would be better to show the dynos starting as close to 2,000 rpms as possible. And why is topspeed's name blacked out??

However, you can't discount the actual driving experience; the part that doesn't show up on a dyno chart. When I look at the chart in my sig I think, damn looks pretty good. It spools up nice. Then when I go drive the car the fact that it's a 3076R due to the lag is quite apparent.

You guys that like to have these bigger turbos, please enjoy yourself. I really don't mind. Seriously. I'm not trying to change minds as much as shed light to those who haven't driven many different size turbos for any length of time. I will counter statements, such as Jared's, though.

#45 ·
the car making 260whp and 240ftlbs is just an reliable and longevity as the 237whp 231ftlbs car.

say what you want. its not spooling violently or making that much more torque. a whole 9ftlbs.

torque and rpm's is what is gonna kill an engine. provided you dont knock or something else etc.

and i feel that jareds 300whp pull. what was it? like 9psi? is pretty easy on the engine. compare that to when he had to make 18-19psi to make 340whp on the stock intake manifold.

granted he has a built engine on that 300whp pull. but still it shows that he's making the power with less boost using a better flowing intake manifold.

i think with the right intake manifold a stock 2.0L duratec can make 300whp ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL day from now till henry ford the 55th is born. ok not that long. but still you get my point.

#46 ·
ok work with me. this is a zetec car of course...

same everything same boost. just switched intake manifolds.

your giving up just a slight low end number for wayyyyy more up top! at the same torque.

so there for i belive that its less stressful on the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.