Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of or done a duratec swap? I know that the duratec is a pretty big motor and i was curious if it would fit under the hood of a focus. It seems like it would be pretty bad ass to do, especially if you could take the 3.0L block and track down the heads and cams of a Contour SVT. If it could be shoe horned in there would it connect with the Getrag transmission? I imagine if they didn't connect, the MTX-75 would probably do well especially considering that when the Contour SVT heads and cams were hooked up with the 3.0L block it added about 20-30hp and about 30-40 ft pds of torque. So I was just curious if anybodies heard anything about it.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Why? The 3.0 is heavy and the power is not worth the weight penalty. The time and effort put into that type of swap would be much better spent on a quality forced induction kit, where power will be better at every area.

Now of course the "uniqueness" of it is a good thing if that's what your going for. But from a straight up numbers perspective... lots of work, quite a bit of money, and not much gain.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Why? The 3.0 is heavy and the power is not worth the weight penalty. The time and effort put into that type of swap would be much better spent on a quality forced induction kit, where power will be better at every area.

Now of course the "uniqueness" of it is a good thing if that's what your going for. But from a straight up numbers perspective... lots of work, quite a bit of money, and not much gain.
What he said, 'cept for the weight part. The duratec v6 only weighs 40 lbs. more than a zetec, roughly the weight of the battery that will need to be relocated. So the weight isn't a big problem.

A V6 does have a certain cool factor, but it is a lot of custom work for a fairly small gain (compared to just slapping forced induction the stock motor).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, it would save a lot of sweat and know-how having a forced induction systems put on. Though if you want to be uinique or somethin I guess go for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
svt originally looked at putting the svt contour motor in the focus. They decided the 2.0l was better over all. I would look into the powerworks sc. That seems to be the best way to add a lot of power with fairly little work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts