Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my Dynamic “Inverted” Struts, shocks and springs. Along with a 25mm Eibach rear sway bar. These inverted struts are very strong struts. They are bigger in diameter then any Koni or KW struts I’ve seen….and twice as thick as a OEM strut. The springs only drop about an 1.5” from stock ride, but the car really handles very well. These struts/shocks are tuned very nice with the springs. You can buy this kit at FRPP for around $550.00 (M-3000-ZXM)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Can you provide a link to the above kit.
I can't find it on frpp's or dynamics site...
Thanks!

Also how does the kit ride compared to stock zx3 (and svt if you've been in one)?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you provide a link to the above kit.
I can't find it on frpp's or dynamics site...
Thanks!

Also how does the kit ride compared to stock zx3 (and svt if you've been in one)?
It's not listed yet on any website that I know of. This item is somewhat new. You can only get through FRPP right now. You would have to check with a FRPP outlet.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Any chance the dampers are adjustable?

Yea, I know...pipe dream. Just thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Thanks for the info Ted-I'll contact FRPP for info....
Again though-Just curious-hows the ride quality?
I'm not sure if your car is a daily driver or just for track use, but I've been leaning towards the svt suspension for my car. It will see some rallycross/autocross/track days (and that stock floaty suspension has gotta go), but I still want SOME ride quality since 98% of the time I'll be on the street...

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Ted-I'll contact FRPP for info....
Again though-Just curious-hows the ride quality?
I'm not sure if your car is a daily driver or just for track use, but I've been leaning towards the svt suspension for my car. It will see some rallycross/autocross/track days (and that stock floaty suspension has gotta go), but I still want SOME ride quality since 98% of the time I'll be on the street...
I do drive my car to work every day. I drive 60+ miles to work everyday. I wish it was a little softer for that ride. But, it is a track car as well.

I would say that it is stiffer then the SVT Kit, and it handles better. I was going to get the SVT kit as well, But came across the Dynamic. I had the OEM Struts and Eibach Pro Springs before, and the Dynamic is much stiffer.

I also have a Eibach 25mm rear sway-bar as well. Something the kit doesn’t come with.

But, if you want ride quality, this might not be the best suspension kit for you. The SVT will be better for the street, the Dynamic will be better for the track. I’m sure some people wouldn’t mind the Dynamic kit for a daily driver…. Others would. It’s more of a personal preference.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Any chance the dampers are adjustable?

Yea, I know...pipe dream. Just thought I'd ask.
nope
OK, one more question then. Spring rates?

That way we can add it to this list in this thread. :
SVT:
F: 129 lb/in
R: 157 lb/in

ZX3/LX/SE/ZTS:
F: 110 lb/in
R: 117 lb/in

S2: (dampers are stiffer)
F: 97 lb/in
R: 114-117 lb/in

Eibach Pro: 1.5”
F: 137 lb/in
R: 171 lb/in

Eibach Sportline: 2”
F: 131~262 lb/in
R: 102~171 lb/in

Progress: 1.8”
F: 142 lb/in
R: 160 lb/in

Steeda:
F: 136~160 lb/in
R: 190~280 lb/in

Intrax SVT Springs:
F: 225~275 lb/in
R: 275~325 lb/in

H&R Coilovers:
F: 370~460 lb/in
R: 260 lb/in

H&R Race: 2”/1.7”
F: 325 lb/in
R: 375 lb/in

H&R Sports:
F: progressive
R: progressive

Ground Control:
F: 450 lb/in
R: 450 lb/in

Tein S-Tech:
F:157 lbs/in
R:179 lbs/in

Tein Coilovers: (this was from another thread so I dont know if its correct)
F: 280-504lb/in
R: 392lb/in

Leda Coilover: (spring rates can be customized to user preference)
F: 460 lb/in
R: 380 lb/in

KW:
F: 333 lbs
R: Progressive

Tanabe GF210 series:
F: 324.1 lb/in (5.8kg/mm)
R: 173.6 lb/in (3.1kg/mm)

Apex: 1.5”
F: 150lb/in
R: 200lb/in

Goldline: 1.5”
F: 140/F
R: 170/R

Dynamic Suspensions: 1.25”
F: 111~160 lb/in
R: 100~280 lb/in

Suspension Techniques: 1.3”
F: 122~135
R: 178

Vogtland
Front: 125/154 progressive
Rear: 165/188 progressive
EDIT: Or are they the Dynamic Suspension springs already mentioned.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that might be it.... But I was told they were

F: 119~180 lb/in
R: 120~290 lb/in

With a drop of 1.5"

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
So they're progressive. Interesting...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
^ Not *that* interesting. I mean, you don't know over what range of travel the progression runs, nor at what rate - so it might not be such an issue. I mean, it could be that the first inch of travel goes from the low to high rate, and then it stays linear. I think that we get a little too obsessed about linear spring rates here...

For the street, I'd almost always take a tuned progressive spring/damper kit over adjustables and the oh-so-pure linear spring rates. Do I really know more about damper tuning than a suspension engineer? (No, I don't. And I bet most of us don't.) Hell, I'd be fine with this on track, too. There are undoubtedly faster track suspensions, but I'd bet this is a good compromise package.

Dynamic's a good company with an impressive body of experience. If I didn't already have the SVT kit on my car, I'd probably give this a shot.

BTW, I'd gotten the originally quoted spring rates myself from Dynamic's web page for the old Focus kit - the $1100 one that Hyland sold/sells. Sounds like they haven't changed a whole lot, except for taking the sway bars out of the package and making it more affordable.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
When I said "interesting"...I meant that I personally really couldn't say whether progressive springs were good or bad. What I meant is, it will be interesting to see people defend and flame them. But anyway...

Here's an idea. Why don't you talk Gary into selling the expensive coil-overs and switching to this set-up. That way we'll have input from three people in one car (you, Gary, & Joe) on how track worthy this set-up is. Oh, and this is assuming and making a big leap that this will be the spec series setup. And if anything, it will surely be easier on the wallet. At $550 for the set, a replacement strut can't be much more than $125.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ Not *that* interesting. I mean, you don't know over what range of travel the progression runs, nor at what rate - so it might not be such an issue. I mean, it could be that the first inch of travel goes from the low to high rate, and then it stays linear. I think that we get a little too obsessed about linear spring rates here...

I think you might be right about that on this springs.... because I think the soft part of the progression is very short on this spring. It says it's about as soft as a Eibach Pro... It's not near that soft from what I can tell on the car.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I just got back from the bank, and was denied a second mortgage. It seems that "kick ass custom race dampers" is not something they'd care to loan me money for...So I guess plan A is out the window.

OK, sorry - coffee had worn off when I wrote the last post. I figured that by 'interesting,' you were falling into that trap. But I should know better...

Is it bad that I'm hoping that I'll blow the SVT stuff, just so I can try out the Dynamic kit?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Is it bad that I'm hoping that I'll blow the SVT stuff, just so I can try out the Dynamic kit?
Actually, I think I saw Joe looking at your dampers at Summit Point.

You'd better order them now.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I called FRPP about this kit yesterday..
Talked to Tom-he didn't know the kit even existed and had NO INFO WHATSOEVER on it.
I think this suspension kit is really imaginary....

Actually, he said the part # IS good,$550.00 IS the price,and if I call back on monday he'll confirm availability/rates/drop/other specs,etc.....wish I could find some pics...

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
How many Focus Fanatic issues are there?
I've got the spring 05(orange Cosworth on cover),and the new summer 05(blue driftwagon on cover)....
Are back issues available anywhere?

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
How many Focus Fanatic issues are there?

I don't know. Five?

Anyway, you have the two I don't have.

Where the first issue is beyond me; I need to organize t3h libr4ry.

·
Registered
883 Posts
This is accually the Mulit-Matic Suspension shown in the spring 2004 Issue of Focus Fanatics. If you have the issue it tells you all about the kit, and from the looks of it it seem like they are really strong. It shows a complete kit with sway bars, shocks, struts, springs, And new Hardware. In the article it states that the kit with sway bars retails for $995. And should you want to save a little cash, the system retails for $695 without the sway bars. Here are also some sites that are listed in the issue as well.

www.multimatic.com
AND
www.dynamicsuspensions.com

Here Is a Pic Of The Kit

I hope this helps everyone that has been searching for this setup.

LAZ

1 - 20 of 39 Posts