Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am all better now (I was in a motorcycle accident) and ready to drive my car.I did not seem any faster but I was waiting on a dyno at local performance shop.I get there and dyno my car and I did 152.4 whp.I do not rememer the torque because I was pissed.I just spent 1700.00 on parts (Crane stg 2 cams,springs & retainers,sct x-cal 2,Cosworth intake manifold) and 1000.00 on install (which included a port and polish on the head)The said part about the whp that I was so pissed about is that I dynoed at 158.2 before I did any of this to my car.Not only did I lose hp that I had in the begining but I gained nothing from the performance stuff that I just did.Also my car dies at least 5 times a day and I do not know why.Most of the time when I was running the a/c. (Do not worry the story has a good ending).I am disappointed about Walter though,I know that he is busy man but I have tried calling him countless times and left a few messages and never got a call.The shop owner told me that the car sounds like it did not have a tune.I said that I have three custom tunes from Marcy Motorsports for the bolt ons that I had and also what I was putting in.Hahahahahahhahaha nope there was an error in the x-cal2 or something like that.From what the Tuner was telling me....I think that I might have got a bad batch of the x-cals but I am not fully certian.The tuner was nice enough to trade me out a new x-cal2 for mine cause he said he could just send it in.Anyways My car has been in the shop now since July 11th and I get to get my car today.(i did have the car about a week and a half in between that time).I had to fork out another 200.00 for three new tunes in a nex x-cal 2 and a month without my car,because I simply never recieved a return phone call.Now my car is 176.9 whp (hoping to get a little more close to 185.0 whp)I will post the dyno sheet later today.
Before you all beat up on this thread for me saying stuff about Walter I would like to say this at least,I like Walter and think that he is one of the best mechanics out there.But what I am dissappointed in is that the lack of help that he has.I would have had nothing less then to have gotten a call,send the x-cal back to him so he could do three custom tunes in a new sct and my car would on the road in no time.It did not happen that way.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Re: has anyone dynoed the stg 2 crane cams?

The excal2 problems is something that we've all been fighting.

I had to send mine back and get it swapped out.

The new tune has MUCH better drivability and is running well and he is still tinkering with the tunes.

It sucks that he didn't get back in contact with you, but you need to know that when you are on the leading edge of development that you have to expect problems and be willing to take some time with it. Not everything can happen overnight.

·
Registered
244 Posts

hey aerostudent,
Not to try and jack the thread, but have you heard the latest update on the MM CAI parts. I know you are close to Macry and I rather not call him like a stocker would just to bug him about that. Any info would be apprecaited.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts

The said part about the whp that I was so pissed about is that I dynoed at 158.2 before I did any of this to my car.
You put down 158 with intake/headers/exhaust?

·
Registered
50 Posts

Can't wait for the dyno sheet! How do you know if your x-cal 2 is bad? Glad to hear the hp number, what octane is that at?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts

I talked to him a few days ago, the raw materials are finally ready to be picked up.

The excal 2's that were bad were the ones that were unable to load a new tune onto.

·
Registered
244 Posts

OK, thanks aero!

Now for this thread topic, I am new to this Tuning thing, as this is my first car that I have paid for and able to do what I want with. I have Header - Exhaust 2.5" all the way. Getting MM CAI and FC TB, do you guys think it is worth doing the tuning. What I have been hearing is that since SCT came out with the new software for the Xcal2 that the Duratec can get some good gains with the proper tuner. So what are your opinions?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The said part about the whp that I was so pissed about is that I dynoed at 158.2 before I did any of this to my car.
You put down 158 with intake/headers/exhaust?
CAI/H/E/FLEX/TB/BS DELETE KIT

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME....i DO NOT KNOW HOW TO POST THE DYNO SHEETS....i CAN FORWARD THEM TO SOMEONE TO POST FOR ME...VIA E-MAIL

·
Registered
244 Posts

Ok Guys here are the Dynos he sent me:
Dyno #1 (Pisses him off)

Dyno #2 (First Tune)

Dyno #3 (Second Attempt at Tune)

Dyno #4 (Last Tune they did)

He stated that this is with his cams slightly advanced. He is going to advance them 2 more degrees and hopes to gain another 6-8hp!

And Finally "the beast" as he referred to it!!!

Looks Good To ME!!

·
Registered
207 Posts

I know it pissed him off, I was there his car was sucking in too much air, sounded like the intake sucking in air when warming up but his car kept doing it, but after the tune you can obviously see the difference.

·
Registered
73 Posts

That is what it should make with his setup. It seems like the time frame when you called Walter was when he was on Vacation. At least your making good power now. The dyno operator has the smoothing way too jagged to try to show more power, but it is definatley in the 170's no matter what. Good numbers

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Its jagged because of the clamp on the spark plug wires that cause interfearance.I hope that I will be in the mid 180's by next week and fix my idle problem that I have.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Its jagged because of the clamp on the spark plug wires that cause interfearance.I hope that I will be in the mid 180's by next week and fix my idle problem that I have.
You can raise the idle through the SCT or also drill a small hole in the throttle body. I had stage 3 cams and idle was fine. Before I drilled the small hole in the throttle body it would die when I decelerated and with the air on as well.
I never had a dyno sheet so jagged before. Your 152 and 171 dyno's arent that jagged as the other two. Maybe smoothing wasnt adjusted.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

#1 how do I raise the idle in the SCT(Where should I put it at)#2 you want me to drill a hole in the TB flap?(how big)#What did you mean about smoothing?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts