Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after all is said and done, this is what I got: You guys were right!

186.4 and 174.7
after the following: I will try to post the Graph tonight.

rebuilt motor, JE 9.0:1 pistons, Eagle rods, crowner steel billet crank, ferra valve train, P&P head 5-angle valve job FRPP stage 1 cams, JRSC 2.3/5.7, volant intake w/scoop, SVT header w/RT cat, Apexi Ws cat back, 2.5" trubendz flex. SCT chipped, Torsen T2 LSD, stage II snow performance water injection, toms MIC.

NOT HAPPY, But tune is great and car runs awesome. The tuner said there is more to be had, with maybe deleting the cat, more agrresive FI cams and moving the water injection from the manifold to before the TB plate (which I am doing this weekend). Also still have my NX kit waiting to go on and be tuned, with that I figure I will be at like 230 WHP.

Well think I am movin on to either a neon SRT-4 or a WRX.

·
Registered
894 Posts
those are pretty nice numbers to see from a jrsc. congrats!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought for sure I would be around 200 WHP, but I guess with the JRSC and low ouput potential, I am limited and also lowering the compression. My thoughts were to go with TOMS kit eventually, but I am just done.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
low power with a JRSC? who knew?

you built the piss out of the motor (billet crank?!) why would you granny it with a JRSC?

If you really are ready to move on, let me know about buying that motor.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the JRSC, with plans to move on to Focus power big boost kit. and I figured I wqs building it so what the hell. Like I said I was hoping for at least 200 WHP!

·
TEAM Sponsor
805 Posts
You can get 300whp on pump with a good size turbo EASY on that setup. They are right, you built the piss outta the thing. JRSC is the bottle neck of your system.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
That engine is BEGGING for a big fat TURBO

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
That does seem odd to me, considering I hit just over 200 whp and 194 lb-ft of torque with my 2.3/5.7" pulley setup. I had FS 4-2-1 header (no cat), and the FS 2.25" "Stealth" exhaust, with a plain S&B Powerstack cone air filter on the end of the JRSC intake tube. The tune was Lidio at Alternative Auto Performance with 42 lb. injectors and stock MAF.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
we told u low 9to1 would suck with JRSC get a turbo and u will kill srt4s .......that are stock or close to it

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
we told u low 9to1 would suck with JRSC get a turbo and u will kill srt4s .......that are stock or close to it

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
over built and your loss of power went to the lower compression. do a simple turbo setup make 15psi and make 300whp easy. 9:1 is to low for a blower focus and to high for an extreeme turbo build.

positive note: at least this motor made it past the dyno runs, after the first 2 came apart.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
wow steve said something positive

damn bro good job

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Yeah, you can sell the JRSC and buy-build a mild turbo and still get about the power you are looking for. It's not saying that the JRSC kit is bad, but the motor is built now for turbo. I'm keeping the FR head and SVT exhaust, but going to rods and stock compression pistons and big boost.

·
Registered
287 Posts
over built and your loss of power went to the lower compression. do a simple turbo setup make 15psi and make 300whp easy. 9:1 is to low for a blower focus and to high for an extreeme turbo build.

positive note: at least this motor made it past the dyno runs, after the first 2 came apart.
Who told you to lower your compression? I've always said to raise compression with a supercharger. Plus, trying to get 300hp out of a 45 inch Eaton isn't realistic. 200hp is easily done with a few bolt ons but not 300. Plus, did you put oversize valves in when you ported the head? I am assuming you installed big valves while you were doing all this work. My 99 Focus with BBoost, FS race header, no cat, FS stealth ex,ported TB, and K&N panel filter in the SVT box makes 170hp without cooling here at my home at 5000ft elevation. If you adjust for the 17% loss of air due to altitude it comes in around 200whp. There have been many others make similar gains with the 45in Eaton. But with your cylinder head, cams, etc and some good compression your engine should have put out a good 225+. I just think you missed when you lowered your compression. But you put down some good numbers none the less. I think you did a good job.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Noveon1,

Not to sound redundant, but seriously, don't give up on that motor. You put WAY too much time and money into that motor to just be "done" with it.

Go with any of the decent off-the-shelf turbo kits available for us, get some a custom dyno tune, and you'll certainly hit your goal, and then some. And by "decent off-the-shelf", I mean the Precision kit or the Roush kit. Either are affordable kits with potential for pretty decent numbers, right off the bat. With some tweaking, of course.

You can go straight for Tom's 'big' kit too.

Just please, don't throw in the towel yet.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess, I was just not educated enough, I never thought of raising the compression, I always thought rule of thumb was lower the compression with boost? Oscar will a nitrous shot help at all? I was thinking like a 50 shot, for now until maybe I decide turbo. I just spent $600 in tuning not to count the multitude of money spent on the motor! And yes, I have the ferra oversised valve kit. I am making a solid 10 PSI WOT, and intial 5 PSI from the time I step on the gas. I gues I am little dissappointed upset etc. Any one wanna buy the SC kit.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I guess, I was just not educated enough, I never thought of raising the compression, I always thought rule of thumb was lower the compression with boost? Oscar will a nitrous shot help at all? I was thinking like a 50 shot, for now until maybe I decide turbo. I just spent $600 in tuning not to count the multitude of money spent on the motor! And yes, I have the ferra oversised valve kit. I am making a solid 10 PSI WOT, and intial 5 PSI from the time I step on the gas. I gues I am little dissappointed upset etc. Any one wanna buy the SC kit.
I didn't know you were supposed to raise compression on a supercharged application either.......can anybody explain on that? wow I'm boggled now lol....

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
I didn't know you were supposed to raise compression on a supercharged application either.......can anybody explain on that? wow I'm boggled now lol....
You shouldn't raise compression on a blown application. It will make the motor even more deto-prone. I think what he was getting at is that with a blower this small lower compression is not better due to how little air it can move efficiently.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hocky, how did your Nitrous set-up work with the JRSC? What shot did you run and was it safe? Also did you have a different tune for the nitrous? and one tune for regular daily boostd drivin?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts