Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dyno and 1/4 mile test results from the Steeda ZX3 project focus. This is the same car and engine that is now our #22 SPU SCCA race car, but these tests were done with the full interior, before we turned it into a race car.

ZX3 dyno results - basic buildup

[ 11-18-2002, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: techguy ]

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Wow! I'd say those nology's are a good investment, huh? Good work guy.

G

·
0 Posts
Nothing like dyno results. This is info someone can use. Well done.

_Michael

·
Registered
411 Posts
hmm, 103whp stock is kind of low. And by adding a chip it pump up to 110whp is kind of...

So my 2000 zx3 w/UPD,I/E should be at about 120+whp range right?
I would like to see the tq # too.
BTW, good job Steeda.

[ 11-18-2002, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Focus_Is_Art ]

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
EXCELLENT information. For those who want a build up path, they can see an excellent path here. And you did it with all just bolt ons!

Very cool!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
great info...thanks a lot. and decent #'s

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
2 tenths from nology wires AHAHAHAHA!!!! yeah right. 130whp and DRs and u can only do 15.37, man some1 isnt drivin right.

-Ult

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by Focus_Is_Art:
I would like to see the tq # too.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually a dynomometer measures Torque and calculates Horsepower.

HP = Torque(Lb/Ft) * RPM / 5252.

If you have the HP and want Torque then:

Torque(Lb/Ft) = HP * 5252 / RPM.

On the first chart where the green line peaks at 116.5 HP @ 5500 RPM that would be:

116.5 * 5252 = 611858 / 5500 = 111.247 Lb/Ft of torque.

That's why Torque Vs HP plots cross at 5252 RPM.

What is Horsepower?

·
Registered
847 Posts
hmm, 103whp stock is kind of low. And by adding a chip it pump up to 110whp is kind of...

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no kidding...is no one else surprised at a 6.7hp gain with just a chip??? I've NEVER heard of such a gain before...very interesting.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Originally posted by Marction:
[QBis no one else surprised at a 6.7hp gain with just a chip??? I've NEVER heard of such a gain before...very interesting.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've seen similar gains as that many months ago... Oddly enough the Foci that start low seem to get more from it. Mine only gained 1.4hp... which is probably within dyno error.... but my car dynoed well over 103 stock.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
hmm, 103whp stock is kind of low.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dude, that is correct.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The chip was a Superchip. We later tried a Diablo chip with surprisingly similar results.

We are switching to a Diablo chip on our race car to bypass the rev limiter, so we can tune some more rpm & power out of the cams. We will be tuning the cams this week in preparation for our race at Homestead this weekend.

I think the exhaust is the same stainless steel Steeda Cat-back we are still running now. It's been a long time since we did that test, so I don't remember exactly. I'll have to check and find out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hmm, 103whp stock is kind of low
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, that is correct.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have seem anywhere from 99whp - 114whp(SCC's project car have 114whp I believe), that's why I said is kind of low..

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
why does the run with the chip show the power cutting off at like 5700rpm and the stock goes all the way to 6100? did you guys just decide to stop measuring or did it really cut off that early? the run with the cat-back seems more realistic with a chip. just wondering.

Nate

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We lifted off the gas because we were past peak horsepower, and we could see where the power curve was heading. There was no sense in revving it any further.

So far we have over 130 dyno runs, about 75 1/4-mile passes, several on track lapping days and 3 SCCA race weekends on this engine. With all that use it is holding up very well. Even so, there is no point turning extra rpm unnecessarily. Sometimes we wind it to the rev limiter on the dyno just to see what the power curve looks like, but we don't do it on every run.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts