Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the only dyno shop in indianapolis today that will talk to a focus about dyno tuning. I have stage II cams and cam gears and would like to get them tuned. They say I need a fuel management controller cause tuning without one wouldn't help much and would pretty much be a waste of time. These people know honda's real well but I have heard other people tuing cams without a fuel controller. Are they full or it or just trying to sell me something with some pretty lights that does nothing? They are recommending an Apexi controller of some kind that cost $330. I want to know if I need it or if it would justify the cost.

Here is what I have, FC TB, 2000 ported intake manifold, AEM CAI, Esslinger UDP, FS race header, Bosal flex, Magnaflow cat back, diablo chip, crower stage 2 cams, cam gears.
Thanks for any help

Jason

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
That is unecesary. A piggyback unit like that will not work on a focus. Tell them there idiots..

·
Registered
62 Posts
ive also had it suggested to me to get a fuel management controller before cam gears by someone that works at an import shop but isnt familiar with focus's. anyone care to explain why it doesnt work on the focus?

·
Registered
217 Posts
well those guys ate idiots
if all you want to do is put your car on a dyno to tune your came gears in its not nessicery to have somthing like the apexi ...and on top of that you can not use that on our cars cause our cars pcm has a learning mode so after a while all of the changes that you might have made on that unit will stop working cause the pcm will take over...and yada yada yada...sorry i can't give you a more indepth reason but there are others like TOM that could explain it more

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
the EEC V module has learning capabilities. it recognizes when new sensor inputs become "normal" and adjusts itself to achieve factory performance. The Apexi will work if its not used all the time. since thats what they want you to do with it, then its no good for you. you can tune your cam settings and all but it wont be a complete tune since you cant adjust your fuel parameters.

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
Look into the maf tuner or the mafterburner they both do the same thing and i think they are the same thing but they will controle the fuel

Now my question would be is your car running lean??

Put it on the dyno hook up the AF/o2 and see if it is lean if not adj cam gears and have fun

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts