Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some new, or at least new to me, spark plugs on Powerblock the other day called E3 spark plugs. They claim to improve fuel mileage and power. From the reviews I read on them, most people say the fuel mileage thing is basically insignificant, and that they notice a little more power mid-range. I was just wondering if anyone has these and can comment on them. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
i put a set in to replace the POS bosch i purchased accidentally, made a difference in the car for sure, maybe a 1/4 hp more lol but what i noticed the most is the car runs so much smoother IMO, better idle and power band is smoother then previously.

if you want to try em out, they dont cost all that much, i got 4 for $20 CAD up here in ontario.

just dont for the love of god buy bosch

·
Registered
830 Posts
I haven't tried the E3s, but most of us here use the standard copper Autolites to get the best spark and performance.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been using the NGK Iridium plugs. I don't have much to say about them. They make the car run and I didn't notice anything different by using them.

I was planning on getting the E3s before too long, but I was mostly wondering if anyone else was running them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
autolite copper 104's are the way to go. gap them at .060 and you are good to go. they are cheap and perform very well. walter marcy proved the dyno gains and my car has been running perfect with them.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the engine matter for the gap? I would think that would to some degree, there are slightly different plugs for the different engines. And it does seem that a lot of people use the Autolite 104's.

·
Registered
362 Posts
i cant really say for anything other than the 2.3 that i have. but my car idles well and has no problems with the .060 gap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
made a difference in the car for sure, maybe a 1/4 hp more lol but what i noticed the most is the car runs so much smoother IMO, better idle and power band is smoother then previously.

if you want to try em out, they dont cost all that much
I will agree I just put in a set they make the car run so much smoother, and it seems more crisp. If you look at the E3's site you will see how they improve the fuel combustion. So unless you are at least side gapping all the autolites that everyone raves about you are not getting even part of the gains. Sure the cars run fine on the 104's gapped at .60, but he was asking about the E3's. I am not trying to single anyone out, but anytime someone asks about plugs all anyone wants to push are the autolites because they are cheap.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually ended up going with some Autolite 103 double platinums, gapped at the recommended spec of 0.51. For one, Advance auto didn't have any E3 plugs available, not even for ordering, and two, the guy at the counter suggested against them. Not that the autoparts guy is going to know everything, I know there is a lot more to cars than whatever the guy behind the counter said. He also told me about the Pulstar plugs a little, but the were much more pricey and I'm still not too sure on the design of those things.
Anyway, the Autolite 103 double plats are working great. I'm pretty sure I was due for new plugs because the car seems to have woken up a lot and is running smoother. Plus, the plugs were only about $4 each, so not too bad a price either. They all came gapped at .45, so I had to fix that, but not a big deal.

·
Registered
362 Posts
i believe that i paid around $5 for a whole set of the copper 104s. theres really no need to waste that much money on plugs when the coppers are proven to perform.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ive been running the E3's in my car for over 20,000 miles and have had no problems. I did notice that it does seem to run alot smoother with the E3's installed. As far as power gains go its very minimal like GFXjamie said. I do think it increased my gas millage though

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i believe that i paid around $5 for a whole set of the copper 104s. theres really no need to waste that much money on plugs when the coppers are proven to perform.
Really, I'm not too worried about the extra 10-15 bucks over the course of 5 years. (or however more often I end up replacing them). I'm sure the coppers work just fine, but i don't think the longevity of having platinum plugs is a waste. I have no idea how long E3 plugs are supposed to last, but they come with a 5 year, 100,000 warranty, according to their website.

·
Registered
118 Posts
X2^^^^ i change my plugs every spring. ofcourse your going to notice differance if you have never changed your plugs,lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts