Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a serious question. What has to be done to the focus/focus svt to enable it to run on the E85 (85% ethanol/15% gasoline)? They are going to be getting stations that sell this in my area, here in the midwest. I am would like to save money on gas when the price jumps next sumer. Also 105 Octane can't be bad either.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
The Focus was never designed to be run on E85 and the conversion would be very expensive.

105 octane will slow the car down unless a more aggressive ignition timing curve is utilized.

·
19,806 Posts
Ethanol at E85 levels can impact various metals like aluminum, plastics and rubber.

Here's more:

Is your vehicle E85 compatible?

Vehicle listing is below. Unfortunately, if your vehicle is not listed, your vehicle is NOT E85 compatible.

[For Ford vehicles:]

3.0L Ford Taurus sedan and wagon (2-valve)*
4.6L Ford Crown Victoria (2-valve, excluding taxi and police units)
5.4L Ford F-150 (3-valve. Available in December 2005)
4.6L Lincoln Town Car (2-valve)

2004 - 2005
4.0L Explorer Sport Trac
4.0L Explorer (4-door)
3.0L Taurus sedan and wagon (2-valve)

2002 - 2004
4.0L Explorer (4-door)
3.0L Taurus sedan and wagon

2002 - 2003
3.0L Supercab Ranger pickup 2WD

3.0L Supercab Ranger pickup 2WD
3.0L Taurus LX, SE and SES sedan

1999 and 2000
3.0L Ranger pickup 4WD and 2WD
3.0L Taurus LX, SE and SES sedan

Many 1995-98 Taurus 3.0L Sedans are also FFVs

*Fleet Purchase Only

Here are some links to E85 tech info:
Info and links courtesy of http://www.e85fuel.com/index.php

·
Registered
208 Posts
You'd need a stainless fuel tank, tephlon coated fuel lines, different injectors and you'd need sensors that can tell the difference between E85 and straight gasoline. The stuff is rated at 105 octane. The race gas I use in my GT is 106 Octane. Tuners should have fun with that once it's more or less available.

As stated, cost for conversion I'm sure would run quite a bit. New fuel tanks that arent stainless run about 300-400 bucks, injectors are roughly 250 for a set of 4 42's #'s, fuel lines.. who knows.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
I doubt the savings would exceed the cost...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Well, if you want to set it up as an e85 only car, it wouldn't be bad.

You will want to get ethonal-safe fuel lines, fuel pump, gas tank, injectors, and, head.

The rangers made in MN where flex-fuel viechles, they have stainless-tipped injectors, I am not sure of the duty cycle...

Teflon coated or stainless fuel lines, you should be able ot buy the fuel line from summit in a coil or something.

Gas tank..the plastic one would not be good to use, you would need to line it with something, this would prob be the biggest pain right here...

Head...it may survive e85.

Tune, you will want to get a tune for e85, it will take a bit more fuel then gas, but, with a good tune, you will also make more power since it has a higher octane rating that would be safer for higher compression or more timing.

It will also smell like cheap liquor when you pass someone. At about 60 cents less then regular, and, premium being abohter 30-50 cents, there could be a savings in the long run, especially if you bought the parts second hand.

The biggest hurdle would be the gas tank. The pump, injectors, and, possibly the fuel lines could be used from a flex fuel ranger or taurus.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My buddy put E85 into his 2003 Civic and guess what he got?? A free ride in a tow truck and now his Civic pings and knocks...you try to save yourself a few cents at a gas station and end up buy a whole new engine for your car because you found out you were a cheap-ass scrooge.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you for the info. I thought all i had to do was get a new tune. if that much work is involved. I willl just suffer with the price of 93 octane for my svt. Should be over $3.00 a gallon this sumer. Curse you gas companys!!!

·
19,806 Posts
FordFociSHO said:
Well I can tell you from first hand knowladge that there is no problem with running small amounts of E-85 through a bone stock Focus. For the last 30-40,000 miles I have been running a 50/50 mix of Ethanol and 93 (6/6 gallons). I did find that any more seems to lean out too much. I had to fix my fuel pump about half way through last summer (it was acting up well before I tried Ethanol) and my tank looked just fine, no pits, holes or degradation at all.
The thread is about ethanol in E85 concentrations.

Ethanol at E85 levels can impact various metals like aluminum, plastics and rubber.

focisho said:
I have talked with a few makers of fuel pumps to find a dedicated high pressure fuel pump for ethanol and it is not cheap (my mustang is going to use E-85 as racing fuel, pump cost me $575 to have it built). If your worried about the pump failing just order one for a FFV Ranger (but you'll have to add a return line).
Your best bet is to buy a good wideband and some type of tuning software/hardware, because to get the most out of E-85 you are going to need to change injector values, timing values and target AFR's. Otherwise you loose mileage and end up paying the same amount of money per mile driven.

There is no doubt that once the proper hardware is replaced that the car will need tuning. That has been touched on already.

·
19,806 Posts
Not necessarily. But, again, the conversion when done properly will be expensive compared to routine maintenance.

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
I've heard people have tried to convert unsuceesfully. E85 from what I hear get slightly lower mileage than regular fuel cars. Not much. So even if the fuel is a little cheaper. Although I love the idea of the fuel burning so clean. I've heard cars can go 10K+ miles on their oil with E85.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Focus was never designed to be run on E85 and the conversion would be very expensive.

105 octane will slow the car down unless a more aggressive ignition timing curve is utilized.

Yeah your wrong. Also octane ratings are not the issue they all burn same rate and this myth about changing your timing is getting old. Check out engine masters they finally did the octane episode and yes includes e85 ... and suprise no difference in power from 87 to 116oct and no difference..... HOWEVER E85 DID MAKE ALOT MORE POWER.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look guys ethanol has more OXYGEN its not about the octane. Please do yourselves and your pockets a favor and research octane ratings stop recycling myths and old thinking ... were better then that. Use your own brain.

Engine masters season 6 episode 81 .. YOUR WELCOME

1 - 17 of 17 Posts