Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i tell whether i have a early/late model alt. braket, just need to know how to tell so i can solve my belt slip.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
damn, I didnt even know there was a change.
that must be why there are 2 belts listed.

·
Registered
287 Posts
How do i tell whether i have a early/late model alt. braket, just need to know how to tell so i can solve my belt slip.
Examine the bracket just as it would mount to the engine block looking from the passenger fender. The mounting surface should be vertical. There are two 8mm bolt holes that mount the tensioner. On the early bracket the bolt holes are located at the 10 oclock and 4 oclock locations as if looking at a clock. In the later bracket the two 8mm mounting holes will be in a 9 oclock and 3 oclock location with the mounting surface of the alternator bracket in a vertical position. LEDzx3 has photos of both brackets if you can contact him.

·
Registered
287 Posts
That webpage is not correct. JR never made a "wrong" bracket. There is an early and a late bracket, not a "wrong" bracket. The picture with a small black bracket in the photo IS the correct routing for the early Zetec alternator bracket. It requires a belt length of 100.3" for a 3" pulley or a 99.6 for a 2.5" pulley. The bracket that is shown to be the "wrong" bracket is a JR SVT alternator mounting bracket. And the belt routing for the JR SVT kit is shown on the JR website under SVT instructions. This belt routing and alternator bracket requires a 106.25" belt for a 3.6" pulley and a 105.25" belt for a 3" pulley. All belt sizes listed are +-.25".

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But Oscar, i guess the thing im asking you is, will the "NEW" way to route the belt on that webpage bad? I'm asking because my computer is stupid and i can't see the SVT belt routing of JR's website...Sigh, never thougt i'd have to go through so much trouble...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
LEDzx3 has photos of both brackets if you can contact him.
actually, i lost that photo of the bracket you brought to the install day, it was my first time uploading the pics on the new camera.

if you could send me another pic of it, i'll post it.
also the other bracket, the one that's on my car, is in the page from Bmorezx3's write up. i'm holding the bracket with the yellow hatch in part of the pic.

·
Registered
287 Posts
But Oscar, i guess the thing im asking you is, will the "NEW" way to route the belt on that webpage bad? I'm asking because my computer is stupid and i can't see the SVT belt routing of JR's website...Sigh, never thougt i'd have to go through so much trouble...
The "new" way of routing the belt isn't required IMO. I run the original routing with no problems on my BB Zetec. Plus, the "new" routing puts the belt too close to the tensioner casting. It doesn't take much belt stretch before the belt will make contact with the tensioner and damage the belt with the "new" routing. So I don't recommend it. If you look at one of the other posts on this Forced Induction Forum there is a copy of the original JR Zetec instructions that you can use for reference.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
actually, i routed mine with the 105. something inch gatorback, and after about a month, i started to see evidence that my belt was rubbing itself (don't start Louis or Chris
)

so there was a long line in the middle of the flat side of my belt that had the rubber rubbed off showing the next layer down.

No probs now, thanks OJ!

dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts