Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will paint my rear drum brakes on my 2000 Silver ZTS Sedan over the weekend. Only thing I'm not too shure about yet is how do I replace the wheel after the job is done? What I mean is I can get the wheel off pretty easily but what tool do you use to screw the wheel back on ... and how do you know if it's tight enough ... or even too tight?

·
Registered
556 Posts
So you haven't even taken your wheels off before?
well get a jack & maybe a friend to help you, use your owners manual and jack up the acr from where they say. If you don't have aftermarket rims pop off the center cap and use a lug wrench while the car is still on the ground to losen the nuts then jack it up & take them the rest of the way off. If the rim doesn't come right off give it a little love tap on the tire
intalation is the reverse- use about 90ftlbs of torque on a torque wrench(or just use a breaker bar & give 'em good ol' german torque-goodntight) Some will say you have to use a torque wrench but if you've been doing this long enough to know- you don't
have fun remember to scuff the surface of the drums before painting with a scotchbright pad & some paint thinner to remove any dirt or anything & let the paint dry otherwise your rim will be stuck the next time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I can just tighten the wheels as hard as I can with the supplied lug wrench? Or is a torque wrench necessary? And is 90ftlbs just a norm or is it the specific recommendation from Ford for the Focus. I feel dumb asking but I just wanna make sure I put my wheels back on the right way ...

Oh and another question ... is white lithium grease ok to put ebtween the hub and wheel or do I need another kind of grease?

·
Registered
142 Posts
DO NOT just hammer on it with a lug wrench.
Most auto supply places will "loan" you a Torque Wrench, You just have to put down a deposit, which you get back when you return it.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I will warn about one thing about doing it without a torque wrench. I swapped my factory wheels with Motegis and they use tuner lugs. While torquing them down, I physically broke the tuner lug key and was up a creek for a bit try to track one down from the tire store. I was told I OVER torgued them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Maybe he's painting them Black.
I'm seriously wishing I had painted mine when they were new. Now they are corroded to hell and Look like crap.
Paint them.
Maintain them.
Make sure they are an unobtrusive color. I agree 100% with F.o.S. that the 'Red Drums' are hella Ricey.
~Paris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts