Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep seeing these things all over the place. are there any advantages in buying a 200 BOV over a 50 BOV or will either serve there purposes.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm guessing it's the price of the BOV...

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Oh.. That would make sense.

Frankly, I'd do some research away from Ebay before you go buying ON ebay.

Cheap can be fine depending on the quality and function of the unit. The 1st generation DSM factory BOV, for example, can be had fairly cheap, and is a nice quality piece. I have a couple in my garage, but they are earmarked for other projects...

Last month's Sport Compact car had a nice article comparing some popular aftermarket and stock BOVs with graph showing pressure versus time. A good article. I'd suggest you track it down.

OR... Post a link to the auction itself to get the opinion of the FocalJet collective.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Yeah, a stock WRX, or DSM BOV will be fine. They work better than most aftermarket BOV's, and are cheaper.

The WRX and 1G DSM BOV's have flanges, so I think they are actually easier to install. Just weld the flange to your pipe, and bolt it on.

The 2G DSM BOV's would be fine for your application and are cheaper, but they are a bit harder to install. You need to weld a pipe intersecting your charge air pipe, then you need a bead, a hose connector, couple clamps...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a friend of mine with a 1g talon told me that in goin to have to recirculate the BOV to the intake tube or my car will run bad. any truth to this? will i still have the sound everyone wants??

·
Registered
186 Posts
yes, that is very true, and you will still hear the swoosh sound, but not as loud as you would with out rerouting it. but realy who cares, if you can smoke there car who gives a [censored] what it sounds like, the winding of the turbo would be enough for me.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
you don't have to recirculate it. I run mine vented to the atmosphere. It takes a little getting used to how to drive it so the car won't die but once you get the hang of it its fine.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Well, yes you do and no you don't.

If you have the BOV after the MAF (like in a suck-through setup), and it vents to the atmosphere, then the engine will assume that the air read by the meter is still going through the engine, and you'll get a momentary rich mixture.

If the BOV is before the MAF (like what you might find in a blow-through setup), then the vented air will never be read, and engine operation will be normal.

On a speed-density system, it isn't an issue at all.

But, if you are venting air read by the MAF, then you should route it back into the inlet side of the turbo to prevent a bad reading... Sure, your car may run this way, but I'm a firm believer in doing it right the first time... Why engineer something to be wrong?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats great info. thanx alot. where do most kits run the MAF. intake or charge piping?? i would assume charge but im not 100%. i still want the BOV as close to the TB as possible right/?. this thing is gettin closer to getting done now that im selling some of my stuff FINALLY. any more info would be greatly appricated.

Stacey

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
most are on the intake side. As far as I know, precision is the first focus kit to have it on the charge side. If you do plumb it back into the intake I would put it back in between the MAF and the turbo, assuming your MAF is on the intake side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts