Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I was looking at getting a coil/wire setup to help out with the smoothness and I know the stockers gotta be starting to break down now.

Saw this ad on ebay:
EBAY Coil set

I was wondering if anyone else has gotten this or heard about it. Looks like a good setup but I'm not sure about the wires...they look a bit long or maybe they are just not routed right...I know they are from a zx2 but wouldnt the coil on that car be about in the same spot? Does MSD not make wires for this car?

·
Registered
591 Posts
i baught one of thease, looked at it and sent it back within the week.

the things springs are like half the size of what they need to be. looked like the metal wasn't that great of quality eather.

get a named brand thing for your suspenoin for the love of god. it really doesn't matter with an intake or a catback TOO much but with this you REALLY need to spend the extra money to get what your paying for.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
i baught one of thease, looked at it and sent it back within the week.

the things springs are like half the size of what they need to be. looked like the metal wasn't that great of quality eather.

get a named brand thing for your suspenoin for the love of god. it really doesn't matter with an intake or a catback TOO much but with this you REALLY need to spend the extra money to get what your paying for.
Did you click on the link? Did you pay attention to the fact that this is the Zetec forum, not suspension? He is asking about an IGNITION coil. Please try to pay attention.

And the Google toolbar with spell check wouldn't be such a bad thing either...

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
They work great.

Honestly, they do add a little smoothness and maybe a bit of horsepower. Nothing ground breaking, but even a hp or two for that price is a good value. Its also good insurance for N20 or FI cars. Stock Focus wires wont work because they have different ends. The MSD ZX2 wires are bit longer than the stockers, but you can reroute them to your liking.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts

What, me? Nooooo!

To be cheesy but perfectly honest though, I'm kinda silly in that I only sell stuff I like or believe in... not the best for the bottom line, but it makes me happy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does MSD not make wires that fit the focus engine?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ZX2 wires fit, but not the stock coil, only the MSD coil. It's all about the connectors/wire ends.
??

I asked if MSD made wires just for the Focus (ie. fit the Focus) that work with the MSD coil.

Anyways...
Just trying to keep the engine bay clean like it is now

The ford racing wires look like they fit better...they actually work with the MSD coil?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
ford racing wires made for the focus will not work with the msd coil...the only ones that would fit the msd coil and are still the same length as focus wires would be the livewires that come with the screamin demon coil (its another coil similar to the msd) but i think anyone would tell you that the livewires aren't that great, and that msd or ford racing wires are much better, in which case you deal with slightly longer wires.

·
Krunktronik Tuner Goblin
3,346 Posts
The MSD ZX2 wires fit the Focus perfectly when using an MSD coil pack.

The ZX2 and Focus share nearly the same engine bay layout, so the coil is in nearly the same spot and the wire legnths are fine.

The MSD coil uses the same style wire-coil plugs that the stock ZX2 coil uses. This type of wire-coil plug that both the ZX2 and the MSD coil pack use, is DIFFERENT than our Focus plug.

That's why when switching to an MSD coil pack ON THE FOCUS, you must use a set of plug wires designed for the ZX2. MSD and Ford Racing both make a ZX2 set of wires. They're really quite identical.

I hope that explained to you how it works.

·
Krunktronik Tuner Goblin
3,346 Posts
Back on subject....

The beefier coilpack and wires is a good mod if you plan on adding more fuel to the motor, or spraying it.

The coilpack will generate a more powerfull spark which will be able to burn the extra fuel your adding better. You also may be able to gap your plugs a tiny bit furthar.

I myself ordered a coilpack and plug wires from Massive a few months ago. They had SUPER fast shipping, and great customer suport. They also included excellent color installation instructions and some sweet stickers!

I'd highly recomend Massive to anyone.

-Nick

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts
ford racing wires made for the focus will not work with the msd coil...the only ones that would fit the msd coil and are still the same length as focus wires would be the livewires that come with the screamin demon coil (its another coil similar to the msd) but i think anyone would tell you that the livewires aren't that great, and that msd or ford racing wires are much better, in which case you deal with slightly longer wires.
Why are the livewires worse off than the FR or MSD wires? What is the diffences between the two?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
^^^ Not sure about that. Ford makes an incredible amount of plug wires (like 1 set per car they sell thats not coil on plug) plus FR makes about a million different wire sets for V8 applications. That aside, as stated, the ZX2 wires are a tad longer. But it really isnt a big deal. They fit just fine.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Why are the livewires worse off than the FR or MSD wires? What is the diffences between the two?
Livewires seem to be OK. But if you pull back the sheath, you'll see an approx 7mm black wire, that appear to me to be awful similiar to a stock replacement set. Im sure the big sheath thing might aid in abrasion resistance, but when has that ever been a problem? A larger wire itself ussually relates to a larger higher strand conductor, hence less resistance, better performance overall, etc...

I'd say thats just kinda wierd.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
at some point i wanna ditch my livewires, i think the ford racing ones are nicer(had the focus ones before i swapped coils), with the silicone insulation and all. thought about grabbing a set of wires from karl at massive during jetfest, but i was outta cash

·
Krunktronik Tuner Goblin
3,346 Posts
at some point i wanna ditch my livewires, i think the ford racing ones are nicer(had the focus ones before i swapped coils), with the silicone insulation and all. thought about grabbing a set of wires from karl at massive during jetfest, but i was outta cash
There's always mail order.

www.massivespeedsystem.com

-Nick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts