Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the aftermath of a GSX Engine going boom
http://bullswrx.kicks-ass.net/gearh...termath-low.wmv

I would show you the first video but he is trying to get an M3 to go with him, M3 didn't go it was a woman driving, Boucnes car off rev limiter and laucnhes the car,Loud bang and blows a rod.Very Funny i will post the first movie is i was allowed.

[ 05-04-2003, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: Kool_ZX3 ]

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
grr....bad link. And I was stoked to see it too.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Originally posted by MP5A4_HK:
PM me with the first movie link!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Same here!

- Drew

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Originally posted by rAndals:
pm with link?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ditto

·
Registered
193 Posts
That dude has got some ugly fingernails you check out his pinky fingernail??

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
me too I wana see. Please

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Hey guys. I've been reading this board for a while now, and decided to make an account and post a "kill" I just recorded. You should like it...
** RIGHT CLICK AND "SAVE TARGET AS..." **

The race:
(removed)

The destruction (2 mins, Lower Res - 10 MB):
http://sys12.cs.jmu.edu/hawleycj/vids/aftermath.wmv

The story:

(SR section removed)

After a loud backfire (running rich as hell) I granny shifted into 2nd (still babying the tranny) and wound out 2nd gear. The M3 was falling back fast and was about two cars behind at this point. Third gear was coming up and I was excited, because it is definitely my power gear. I found 3rd and began to pull away even harder, and then it happened.

Screws were thrown into my exhaust pipe. At least that's what it sounded like. My heart sunk to the bottom of my chest. I knew what the horrible sound really was. My completely stock shortblock with 78,000 miles finally gave out.

I hadn't gotten my car to the dyno yet, but conservative estimates were somewhere just above 450 bhp at the flywheel, untuned. That's about 112 hp per piston/rod. If you have any doubts about these numbers, just watch the video of the destruction. :buttrock

I knew it was going to happen sometime, but I sure didn't expect it at that moment. I had tuned the car conservatively and was running rich. My EGTs had only peaked at about 880 deg C, I had no detonation, I was running only 18 psi, and I had not even added any additional spark timing advance. I guess 78,000 miles of hard driving, 50 or so clutch dumps, around 10 drag strip runs, a few road racing events, ten or so autocrosses did it in.

I limped over to the side of the road as the M3 driver passed me by (laugh it up guys!!!! :laugh :laugh :laugh ) with an astonished look on his face. I got out of the car and sat on the grass for a few minutes, contemplating what had just happened. In retrospect, that was a good thing to do. I didn't need dents in the side of my door, and I definitely didn't need a broken foot.

So the flatbed came and towed the car back to my house. The beast had left a lake coolant and oil where she rested. :bawl Brian and I went back to the scene of the disaster later in the day and discovered the bottom portion of a connecting rod and a thumb-size chunk of iron block. These two pieces were only a small hint of the destruction we would uncover later in the day after we removed the cylinder head.

Once we got home from work, we removed the head in just over an hour. What we uncovered was easily the worst carnage we had ever seen as a result of a bent connecting rod. The entire engine block and all its internal components literally disintegraed.

Schrapnel from exploding pistons and bearings was shot out the back of the iron block into the firewall (which was the loud sound we heard inside the car). The balance shaft was smashed through the rear of the block, creating a hand-size hole through which the crankshaft was easily visible. Multiple connecting rods were bent, twisted, melted, etc. Pistons were completely mangled and cylinder two had a silver-dollar size hole in the cylinder wall.

All in all, it could have been much worse (really!), as the damage was localized to the short block. Surprisingly, the cylinder head was untouched, except two very small nicks on the exhaust valves of the number one cylinder. No significant metal fragments exited my exhaust, as my exhaust turbine fins were untouched.

In goes the race block w/ forged internals. This sure was a learning experience. I was hoping the stock block would hold up for a bit longer, but oh well.

If you got this far, thanks for reading. Please do not start saying anything about the validity of any of my comments. Everything happened as I stated it (to the best of my recollection), and the M3 driver was definitely racing me. I'm sorry if you don't believe me for some reason.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed that! I will post again when we get the block out of the car and we can remove more pistons/rods/bearings from the oil pan! Yay!!! I will also post the install of my new motor if anyone is interested. Let me know if you all have any problems downloading or viewing the videos. I will be posting them in different resolutions and formats (hopefully MPG) tomorrow, along with pics of the carnage.

Chris

http://hawleycj.com/pics/car.jpg

K&N filter, Dejon Tool 2.5" intake, Greddy big FMIC, Greddy LICP, RRE UICP, 1G BOV, 1G TB, 1G intake mani; 1G head, HKS 272/272 cams, Fluidyne radiator, FAL fan, Greddy catchcan; Ported 2G exh man, FP Green turbo (730 cfm), Tial 35mm ext WG, RNR 3" O2 elim DP, RNR 3" test pipe, Apex’i RS 3" exhaust; Rewired 150lph FP, 660cc injectors, Magnecore wires, NGK BPR7ES plugs; B&M short shifter w/ metal bushings, ACT2600 clutch, TRE race tranny; Greddy 60mm EGT, VDO boost, Jumptronix O2, Greddy Profec B, DSMLink
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just an explaination of what happened.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That M3 wasn't racing him, What a Moron, That's a whole load of BS

·
Registered
751 Posts
Here's the video of the "race". The guy is obviously brain dead. He's pushing 450hp on stock internals with 78,000 miles and bouncing it off the rev limiter for a half a minute. WTF do you expect to happen
IDIOT

http://sys12.cs.jmu.edu/hawleycj/vids/E46_M3_VS_Eclipse_GSX.wmv

**I know that this is considered street racing so if necesarry delete the post. I just thought everyone might want to watch it happen.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Originally posted by blueSVT2911:
Here's the video of the "race". The guy is obviously brain dead. He's pushing 450hp on stock internals with 78,000 miles and bouncing it off the rev limiter for a half a minute. WTF do you expect to happen
IDIOT

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bouncing it off the rev limiter is probably what did it in, because one of my friends has a gsx with stock internals and is running around 430 at the wheels and only problems he has had are transmission problems, and a whole crapload of them

·
Registered
72 Posts
HOLY ****!!! I KNOW THIS GUY!!!

This guy was in the counterstrike clan I was in back when I used to play! What a small freaking world!! LOL....sucks to be him.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Originally posted by blueSVT2911:
IDIOT

http://sys12.cs.jmu.edu/hawleycj/vids/E46_M3_VS_Eclipse_GSX.wmv

**I know that this is considered street racing so if necesarry delete the post. I just thought everyone might want to watch it happen.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">actually even though this is street racing...it's still a legit post since it says "you can't talk about street racing unless it's showing/telling why you shouldn't" and I do believe this is a GOOD example of why you should street race

1 - 20 of 25 Posts