Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving and unfortunately extending the distance I commute somewhat significantly. I was wondering if anyone has written a tune aimed at increasing fuel economy?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Doubtful.
What you would pay for a tune like this would prolly outweigh the $ savings in gas, if any.

Buy a new 2012 focus or fiesta or a hybrid or ride a bicycle.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, Focus SFE $20K, Fiesta, $16K, Biking 160 miles each day...doubtful.

Flasher w/program $400

If I can bump my MPG up by 2 or 3 the payoff time is less than a year. Yes I did the math, it's pretty simple and I graduated High School a long time ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How many people would it take to start a Economy tune?? Is it just the work involved in data loging and constant back and forth info?? Cause I think it would pay off for both the consumer (me) and you. I know the loose nut behind the wheel has the biggest input on milage. Just wondering??

Thanks, CJ

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think that an economy tune would be pretty sweet. You have companies now that are going with smaller displacement motors. Being able to acheive a 2-3 more mpg consistently would be nice, especially if you could do it for a couple hundred dollars. I would definitely go for that. Right now a tank will take me about 360-370 miles. But if I could break the 400 mile mark that would be really nice.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Not sure about this. Thing is, there's nothing that can really be done that is going to make a significant difference that isn't already being done. The factory will usually run the car pretty fat at WOT. And that is something I address, as most would. The rest of the time you are running at stoich unless you want to run leaner, but it's not going to make enough of a difference in most cases.

So then what happens when people say, "Hey I bought this flasher for $379 to save gas and I'm not seeing a difference! I want a refund!" What are we supposed to do? Driving styles and habits will have a bigger impact on mileage than anything else.

·
Grand Master Mabel listens to Death Metal and flip
7,145 Posts
Kevin, you already own an economy car. It won't get anymore economy than it already is. Keep your tires properly inflated and drive 65mph (when you aren't stuck in traffic) and your gas mileage will be as good as can be. If you carry less weight, as in leave the rolling garage you have in your trunk at home, it will also help your mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well that pretty much answers my Questions. I agree completely. It is an economy car thats getting about as good as it will get. I know a lighter foot always helps milage. Just wondering if more tuning would help. So thanks for the very helpful input.

CJ

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kevin, you already own an economy car. It won't get anymore economy than it already is. Keep your tires properly inflated and drive 65mph (when you aren't stuck in traffic) and your gas mileage will be as good as can be. If you carry less weight, as in leave the rolling garage you have in your trunk at home, it will also help your mileage.
A few more weeks and I will have a garage, you bet your ass my trunk will be EMPTY!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure about this. Thing is, there's nothing that can really be done that is going to make a significant difference that isn't already being done. The factory will usually run the car pretty fat at WOT. And that is something I address, as most would. The rest of the time you are running at stoich unless you want to run leaner, but it's not going to make enough of a difference in most cases.

So then what happens when people say, "Hey I bought this flasher for $379 to save gas and I'm not seeing a difference! I want a refund!" What are we supposed to do? Driving styles and habits will have a bigger impact on mileage than anything else.
Randy,
Your logic, as always, is impeccable.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Maybe the combo of UDP, lightweight 14" wheels with taller/narrower tires, a harder compound and inflated @ 35psi. Maybe get an aftermarket air intake then after all that it may be better, or, just put a sail on it.

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts
There is a MPG tune in the SCT PRP files.
Looks like it leans out WOT, adds some timing, loosens the CL Bias, lowers the idle and a bunch more things.

If you have the time, tune for the lowest injector pulse widths via ignition timing. It's a real PITA to sort the data and build a map from it though, not impossible though. Or you could try just looking at the lowest PW and the timing at that point and put it in the spark map and run it. Not saying that'll work but for a trial/error it might get close.

And if you don't have PRP you'll do more harm than good playing with spark via the Xcal.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ive got a sct livewire that i just got back from sct warranty fix. I was planning on trying the economy tune. If i do it ill post with what the results are

1 - 20 of 30 Posts