Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Recaros for Corbeaus and Boyds!
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I doubt this will get seen, but I figured I'd try.

Most of you know my car, it's a 2008 Coupe that's boosted, blah blah blah.... Well at some point prior to my ownership, my PCM was flashed by Ford, thus changing the code to a code that is not supported, and making it a nightmare to tune. It doesn't load all the PIDs, it doesn't even like to accept tunes. I have to flash the car, let it fail, flash the car stock, then I can finally load a tune. It's VERY frustrating.

I had an idea, and I'm not sure if it will work. In theory it should work, but I would like to get a 100% yes it will work before spending the money.

A guy local to me has a 2008 5 speed Coupe for sale for pretty cheap. After talking to the guy a little, ironically, the ECU code on his car(XMF2) is the code that my car SHOULD be on my car(Sticker is still on the ECU). So I know that mine is flashed, just taking that ecu out of the "donor" car and putting it into mine will not work. BUT I was wondering if taking the ECU, the Gauge cluster, the Keys, and the PATS(Is there a physical PATS module) will work? Thus basically turning my Coupe into the Donor coupe electronically and therefore giving it a GOOD known ECU code that will work, and be able to tune?

Then I'd take my crappy ecu, throw it in the "donor" car and daily it. Unless I could get the mileage corrected then I would sell it again.

You're probably thinking this is insane, and a lot of work. But trust me, tuning my car is a nightmare. I've put countless hours and dollars into this thing trying to get it right, and trying to do anything I could but it's just an endless cycle. If This swap would work, believe me, to me it would be worth it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
It would be just like a regular ECU change. You could swap the XMF2 ecu in then get your keys coded to the ECU. A locksmith could do this for you if you want to avoid the dealer. Or for kicks try the keys from the other car, as long as you don't see '-------' on the odometer then you know the key is communicating with the dash. In any case I think you should be able to get it working without swapping everything over.

EDIT: There's no PATS module, the ECU send an RF signal which is picked up by the key. The key will then send a signal back to the ECU to start the engine. You just need the RF synced up.

·
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I would have to swap everything though since the cluster is tied to the ECU, wouldn't I?

·
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks for a friend at Ford I found out that my car was flashed at Ford before I owned it due to a new gauge cluster being swapped in... Not sure why, but that's why it had to be flashed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts